Aspire 7 A717-72G-76V1 : GTX 1060 6GB stuck at approx. 3GB

Options
MrKiwi
MrKiwi Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Greetings,

While monitoring my temperatures during a play session, I've came across a problem with my GTX 1060 6GB. It would seem as though it is stuck at ~3GB while under full load which is strange considering it's advertised as 6GB. I've joined to this message a screenshot of the problem in question. 

Thanks in advance,

MrKiwi

Best Answer

• chromey
    chromey Member Posts: 39 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited December 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    MrKiwi said:
    chromey said:
    MrKiwi said:
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply! I was under the impression that the Memory graph under the performance tab (which in my screenshot is indeed using 6GB out of 16GB) was related to the RAM of the computer and that the VRAM of the graphics card (here 3.4GB out of 6GB) was something else entirely. Am I misunderstanding something?

MrKiwi
    The card only uses amount of VRAM that is required to run the game, it has 6gb available but only needs the 3.4gb (its not stuck, it just doesnt need to use more)

16gb is the system memory (RAM) while 6gb on the gpu side is dedicated only for the gpu (VRAM)
    Thanks for the reply!

I think I get it, but there is still one part left that I don't understand; why would the gpu says it's running at 100% if it doesn't need to use all 6GB of VRAM ? 
    It just means that 100% of the gpu power is being utilized, ram/vram isnt calculated into that. (since it only uses the amount of vram how much is needed)
    In the same way you can use 100% of the cpu without using 100% of ram

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    Check Task Manager under the performance tab. Then click on memory to see how much is actually being used. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MrKiwi

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply! I was under the impression that the Memory graph under the performance tab (which in my screenshot is indeed using 6GB out of 16GB) was related to the RAM of the computer and that the VRAM of the graphics card (here 3.4GB out of 6GB) was something else entirely. Am I misunderstanding something?

MrKiwi
  • chromey
    edited December 2018
    Options
    MrKiwi said:
    Hi,

MrKiwi
    The card only uses amount of VRAM that is required to run the game, it has 6gb available but only needs the 3.4gb (its not stuck, it just doesnt need to use more)

16gb is the system memory (RAM) while 6gb on the gpu side is dedicated only for the gpu (VRAM)
  • MrKiwi

Tinkerer

Options
    chromey said:
    MrKiwi said:
    Hi,

MrKiwi

Thanks for the reply!

I think I get it, but there is still one part left that I don't understand; why would the gpu says it's running at 100% if it doesn't need to use all 6GB of VRAM ? 
  • chromey
    edited December 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    MrKiwi said:
    chromey said:
    MrKiwi said:
    Hi,

MrKiwi

Thanks for the reply!

It just means that 100% of the gpu power is being utilized, ram/vram isnt calculated into that. (since it only uses the amount of vram how much is needed)
    In the same way you can use 100% of the cpu without using 100% of ram
  • MrKiwi

Tinkerer

Options
    OK, I think I get it now! Thanks to both of you for taking the time to explain :) Greatly appreciated!

MrKiwi
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yep. Sorry. Couldn't make out the text on your first image too well. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ