Is it possible to change memory clocks/timings / enable XMP on a G3-605

Mikeeh
Mikeeh Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
I recently bought 2x8GB 1600mhz RAM sticks but they only run at 1333mhz because you need to enable XMP or change the clocks to get 1600mhz but the BIOS doesn't have any of these options, is there a way to get them?

Answers

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited December 2018
    Unfortunately many retail and aftermarket memory modules REQUIRE access to BIOS and memory features in order to run at their highest advertised speeds. For example, see Crucial's setup guide - https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-ballistix-configure

As they ship, the memory will default run at its lowest clocks speed and timings (1333MHz here). Since Acer limits certain BIOS features like memory timings, you will not be able to modify the speed. To run at the full 1600MHz, you have to buy officially supported memory modules. Another option would be installing a custom BIOS, which has its own risks.

If anyone knows a different option please chime in.
  • Mikeeh
    Mikeeh Member Posts: 2 New User
    tobimaru said:
    Unfortunately many retail and aftermarket memory modules REQUIRE access to BIOS and memory features in order to run at their highest advertised speeds. For example, see Crucial's setup guide - https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-ballistix-configure

As they ship, the memory will default run at its lowest clocks speed and timings (1333MHz here). Since Acer limits certain BIOS features like memory timings, you will not be able to modify the speed. To run at the full 1600MHz, you have to buy officially supported memory modules. Another option would be installing a custom BIOS, which has its own risks.

If anyone knows a different option please chime in.
    Are there any tutorials on installing a custom BIOS on a G3-605? I haven't found any online and i'm willing to take the risks.