Motherboard compatibility

Options
mBicks
mBicks Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 15 in 2018 Archives
I'm looking to upgrade my current processor from an Intel Core i5-7400@3.0GHz, but not sure if my current motherboard can handle it.

Can someone please advise:
1) Which motherboard I have, so I can tell what processors are compatible? (Can't seem to find which I have!)
2) If it makes to upgrade (I hope to pull around 150fps on most games). 
3) Which processor would be best bang for buck and still compatible with my system.

My current system has 16gb of DDR4 ram, and a GeForce GTX 1070, and a 500Watt powersupply.

Any help is much appreciated. I am a complete beginner with this stuff!

Thanks!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    It's going to help a bunch to tell us which model you have. :) Typically the seventh gen i5s can be upgraded to the seventh gen i7s, and the i7s give twice as many threads as the i5s. What you typically can't do is upgrade from a 7th gen to an 8th gen. Depending on your BIOS you may or may not be able to overclock, so we'll have to suss that out before advising on a K processor. Also if you're not yet running an SSD that can be a big help since many OS calls are disk dependent.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mBicks
    mBicks Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    billsey said:
    It's going to help a bunch to tell us which model you have. :) Typically the seventh gen i5s can be upgraded to the seventh gen i7s, and the i7s give twice as many threads as the i5s. What you typically can't do is upgrade from a 7th gen to an 8th gen. Depending on your BIOS you may or may not be able to overclock, so we'll have to suss that out before advising on a K processor. Also if you're not yet running an SSD that can be a big help since many OS calls are disk dependent.
    Thanks for the response. I forgot to include, my system is Predator g3-710. 

Im thinking I’ll upgrade to the i7 processor.

Does that make sense? Thank you again!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes, the i7-7700K should be a good improvement. You have the B150 chipset and your BIOS supports overclocking. If you don't already have an SSD as your boot drive now might be a good time to fill that M.2 slot as well.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.