Forgotten HDD password Aspire 3

TommygunzATX
TommygunzATX Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
I purchased my Aspire 3 recently and set a HDD password and I can't remember it. I have tried everything I know to do and now I am at a loss with a paperweight. Can anyone shed some light on my issue? From what I have been told is that the HDD password is stored on a small secure portion of the HDD itself. Inserting the paperclip to replicate removing the battery does not work. Please Help!!!!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer
    Sorry. To help avoid bricking the machine, security and password resets must be arranged at this ACER website https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TommygunzATX
    TommygunzATX Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank I contacted Acer and they informed me that it would cost $100 to send the machine in and have it repaired (tech support unlock it) The technician I spoke to didn't seem to be tech savvy. I asked if the Hdd password was stored on a secure allocation of memory on the drive itself or could I just buy a new drive. Needless to say I got no help with that question... If anyone has any advice please let me know. I was going to purchase a Sata to USB cable and just format + reinstall Win 10.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer
    As long as you didn't set an password for this particular HDD from inside the BIOS, it should be OK. Some newer HDDs won't even allow low-level access if locked this way. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ