Side load android apps?

mwsalter
mwsalter Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi, I just bought an Acer r11 CB5-132T-C1LK .  I’d like to be able to work with appinventor 2, and download the app to test. Is the only way to do this in developer mode?  What are the issues with dev mode?
TIA
Michael

Best Answer

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,752 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    mwsalter said:
    Thanks for your response. AppInventor is a website where you can create android apps, and actually create an apk file. This file can be downloaded, and installed as an android app.  While the website works fine on the Acer, Chrome won’t let it be installed, as it says it needs developer mode installed. I was wondering is there was a workaround to this.  If not, what are the issues with developer mode?

michael
    Installing apps that you create from AppInventor is not possible in STABLE channel. Since, STABLE channel allows the authorized apps. However, you can install these in developer mode. 

Developer mode disadvantages:

it is less secure. 
    You are on your own when you put your system in Developer Mode.
    > it will erase all of the locally stored data and refresh Chrome OS back to its default 
    > its basically used for e
    xperimental features that may not make it to the Stable release soon or may never be released are tested here.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    According to Google's page your model supports the Play Store right out of the box. Unless AppInventor has large screen support disabled you should be able to install it normally.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mwsalter
    mwsalter Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for your response. AppInventor is a website where you can create android apps, and actually create an apk file. This file can be downloaded, and installed as an android app.  While the website works fine on the Acer, Chrome won’t let it be installed, as it says it needs developer mode installed. I was wondering is there was a workaround to this.  If not, what are the issues with developer mode?

michael
  • Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,752 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    mwsalter said:

michael
    Installing apps that you create from AppInventor is not possible in STABLE channel. Since, STABLE channel allows the authorized apps. However, you can install these in developer mode. 

Developer mode disadvantages:

it is less secure. 
    You are on your own when you put your system in Developer Mode.
    > it will erase all of the locally stored data and refresh Chrome OS back to its default 
    > its basically used for e
    xperimental features that may not make it to the Stable release soon or may never be released are tested here.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer