Aspire AXC-704 - 2nd 4GB RAM chip doesn't work, but works by itself

Options
2»

Answers

• DarthLuch
    DarthLuch Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options
    Not sure I'm going to pursue that... Once I'm back in the US I'll check out the computer on sale and might consider just buying a new one, etc
    Muito obrigado pelo sua ajuda,

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    You are Welcome! 
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • HazeTM
    HazeTM Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    BIOS: R01-A4 v.2.17.1249
    SMBIOS v2.8
    PC: Acer AXC-704

As the original poster, I'm having the EXACT same issue. Word for Word.  Older topic but relevant today because.....

As the original poster, My RAM specs ARE an EXACT match.  I research on all things tech, before purchases.  I've worked with software/hardware for over 17 years, over several days this one stumps me.(I will refer to DIMM slots as RAM slot)
    Note: Windows 10 DOES show 2 RAM slots available.  POST and BIOS must be blocking it.

ISSUE #1:
    Tested. Any RAM in slot#1 works. System boots.
    Tested. Any RAM in slot#2 does not work, system will not boot POST or BIOS.  Only Fan runs, nothing else.
    Finally I did a CMOS reset (jumper and battery).
    Did not work.  BIOS options are very basic now.

I Read to activate RAM in slot#2:
    Go to BIOS, then select Advanced Settings, then Memory Settings, and change the corresponding DIMM slots option to "Row is enabled". As Acer disables it by default.  
    But, because of the CMOS reset, I now have an Issue#2.

ISSUE #2:
    BIOS options:  Several months before this, I COULD access "advanced" options, to change various integrated graphics options. After CMOS reset all the options are no longer present and I am unable to enable them (See Images). 

Things I have tried to regain my BIOS options:
    - All Ctrl+ keys, Fn+Tab 3x, F9/F10 (mentioned online).
    - BIOS Passwords. User/Admin. On/off. System/Setup (mentioned online).

Conclusion:
    - I need to RE-gain access to see BIOS Advanced Settings, then Memory Settings, and change the corresponding DIMM slots option to "Row is enabled". (I HAVE had access to this before!).
    After CMOS reset, my BIOS options are very basic (see images).

Q.1 - As I cannot upgrade my R01-A4, should I re-flash?  
    Q.2 - Why does Acer product report have BIOS versions NOT for my system (R01.B series)?
    Q.3 - (See Image)  I noticed this jumper beside the RAMM/DIMM slots.  Any ideas?  Note: it IS NOT the CMOS jumper!
    Q.4 - If I got a MOD BIOS or wrong BIOS version, would COMOS reset it back to original R01-A4?

Thanks in advance.  I miss the old Tech days, plug and play.  As many, I'd rather not flash the BIOS.   

Current BIOS options:

Secure Boot and Boot Order:

Advanced Menu: (I used to have MANY more advanced options):

Advanced options: Very BASIC now.  User/Admin login has no effect.

Windows detects there IS two RAM Slots available:

I noticed this jumper beside the RAMM/DIMM slots.  Any ideas?  Note: it IS NOT the CMOS jumper! 
    MOBO RAM area:

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    edited June 2020
    Options
    That is correct, the service guide shows this for the Advanced menu:
    And when you enter the CPU and Chipset Configuration submenu the only option is to choose video, Auto, PCIE or Onboard. The SG is dated 2015, so the BIOS has been set that way at least that long. Memory specs are:

The jumper you reference is labeled TXE1 and called ... wait for it ... the TXE jumper. A search through the whole manual finds that as the only reference. Some Googling finds that the TXE jumper is an Intel thing for doing BIOS firmware updates, beyond the normal BIOS update. I believe it's an acronym for Trusted Execution Engine, and when the jumper is not set things are fully locked, when the jumper is installed you can use tools to overwrite the firmware. My guess is since it's a three pin header the two states are shorted between 1&2 and between 2&3. I don't believe that will help unless they enable more functionality in the BIOS if the TXE jumper is set. But you try that at your own risk, since I don't know for sure what it does. If you do decide to take that risk, let us know what happens! :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • HazeTM

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey
    RE: TXE jumper.  Thank you for your reply with the service manual.  I also have the service manual you quoted. No, I won't be "messing with that". Just providing as much information as I can to try to resolve the main issues #1 and #2.

Would you have any feedback on those two main issues?

HazeTM said:
    BIOS: R01-A4 v.2.17.1249
    SMBIOS v2.8
    PC: Acer AXC-704

As the original poster, I'm having the EXACT same issue. Word for Word.  Older topic but relevant today because.....

As the original poster, My RAM specs ARE an EXACT match.  I research on all things tech, before purchases.  I've worked with software/hardware for over 17 years, over several days this one stumps me.(I will refer to DIMM slots as RAM slot)
    Note: Windows 10 DOES show 2 RAM slots available.  POST and BIOS must be blocking it.

ISSUE #1:
    Tested. Any RAM in slot#1 works. System boots.
    Tested. Any RAM in slot#2 does not work, system will not boot POST or BIOS.  Only Fan runs, nothing else.
    Finally I did a CMOS reset (jumper and battery).
    Did not work.  BIOS options are very basic now.

I Read to activate RAM in slot#2:
    Go to BIOS, then select Advanced Settings, then Memory Settings, and change the corresponding DIMM slots option to "Row is enabled". As Acer disables it by default.  
    But, because of the CMOS reset, I now have an Issue#2.

ISSUE #2:
    BIOS options:  Several months before this, I COULD access "advanced" options, to change various integrated graphics options. After CMOS reset all the options are no longer present and I am unable to enable them (See Images). 

Things I have tried to regain my BIOS options:
    - All Ctrl+ keys, Fn+Tab 3x, F9/F10 (mentioned online).
    - BIOS Passwords. User/Admin. On/off. System/Setup (mentioned online).

Conclusion:
    - I need to RE-gain access to see BIOS Advanced Settings, then Memory Settings, and change the corresponding DIMM slots option to "Row is enabled". (I HAVE had access to this before!).
    After CMOS reset, my BIOS options are very basic (see images).

Q.1 - As I cannot upgrade my R01-A4, should I re-flash?  
    Q.2 - Why does Acer product report have BIOS versions NOT for my system (R01.B series)?
    Q.3 - (See Image)  I noticed this jumper beside the RAMM/DIMM slots.  Any ideas?  Note: it IS NOT the CMOS jumper!
    Q.4 - If I got a MOD BIOS or wrong BIOS version, would COMOS reset it back to original R01-A4?

Thanks in advance.  I miss the old Tech days, plug and play.  As many, I'd rather not flash the BIOS.   

Current BIOS options:

Secure Boot and Boot Order:

Advanced Menu: (I used to have MANY more advanced options):

Advanced options: Very BASIC now.  User/Admin login has no effect.

Windows detects there IS two RAM Slots available:

I noticed this jumper beside the RAMM/DIMM slots.  Any ideas?  Note: it IS NOT the CMOS jumper! 
    MOBO RAM area:

More info for my post to Forums...
    Before CMOS reset I had these similar advanced sub-menus:

After CMOS reset, SAME advanced sub-menu:

• billsey
    Options
    As I said, the BIOS you display is what I see in the manual. I don't know how you might have gotten it into a different state to show different menu screens. The base problem is you aren't able to use the second memory slot and your hypothesis is as good as any for why that would be. I know of no solution unless the TXE thing opens the BIOS up to have more advanced options.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jester68
    Jester68 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Hi.... Sorry for jumping in here.... I do so because this is word for word my issue also!!  I have a Aspire XC 710.. max RAM is 16gb..I put 8g in bank 1..and pc boots..I put the other in bank 2.. PC just blank screens me and buzzes none stop. Both chips work in bank 1.....

What's going on???

Cheers
  • billsey
    Options
    Specs, as shown above,are:
    So 8GB max.

• HazeTM

Tinkerer

Options
    ORIGINAL POSTER:  SOLVED - Tested
    I have used ONE 8GB RAM stick in ONE slot and everything has been tested constantly during this and worked fine to this day. (Although I would prefer using 2 4GB)
    People need to know, in computers, the Motherboard doesn't decipher or care how many RAM slots there are.  As long as you don't exceed the MAX RAM your Motherboard (mobo) can handle.

It is in fact, a manufacturing issue with this model of PC, as I tested the RAM combinations on 4 other PCs.  They all worked Fine. 
    I also managed to test this on two of the same ACER models, as in this thread...they BOTH failed failed to reconize the "dual RAM".

So there you have it folks. Just use 1 8GB Ram stick in ONE slot. It's a Acer manufacturing issue.  Not worth having it "repaired"

As in many forums, you will find those that copy paste replies or service manuals and consider this an answer.  Ignore them.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    The service manuals show the hardware that Acer has tested on certain models. Now, on the issue, have you checked if a bios update fixes the problem?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)