SSD upgrade on Predator g9-793 72E5

GodnesS
GodnesS Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi, I know there are a bunch of threads regarding g9 models and ssd upgrades but i looked through the ones i could find by search and none of them had the same issue as me.
It seems like my computer's mother board only has 1 slot for M2 type SSD.
It seems very weird to me because there is a 2nd hole for another screw right over the first one (where there is already one installed that came from the store).
The computer is 1 year old which means that older models have 2 slots but this one has 1?
But when i removed the first one i thought maybe the 2nd one would go underneath it but it seems solid with no room for another one.
I tried looking online but i cant seem to find the technical specifications that mention the number of slots and which memory type can be used.
I am adding pics of  the mother board and slot location so you can confirm what i think or maybe i missed something?
Thank you for your help :)

Pics:
https://pasteboard.co/HQlF4M5.jpg - the ssd installed at the moment
https://pasteboard.co/HQlFlu4.jpg - the slot without anything in it
https://pasteboard.co/HQlFBGY.jpg - The whole location and you can see the spot for the 2nd screw (which makes me think there should be a spot for another ssd drive)

Answers

• GodnesS
    edited December 2018
    Couldnt upload the pics straight here since they arent in a supported type and have no idea how to delete this comment lol

• GodnesS
    If you look at the 3rd pic, it seems like the spot for the socket to go is all ready just a socket hasn't been soldered in there.
    plus the screw place is there aswell, Could it be possible this is a manufacturing fail where they didn't install the 2nd slot?
  • fejerm
    fejerm Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    No this is on purpose.
    For sku's with 1 ssd they sometimes manufacture motherboards with only 1 connector to save some some money.
    There is also a chance that if you buy an sku with 1 ssd but get mb with 2 connectors, you might get an mb with 1 connector in case you get a new mb during rma.

Other manufacturers do the same.
  • GodnesS
    Is there anything i can do about this?
    Were they suppose to give me a motherboard with 2 sockets but choose not to in order to save $?
    What is rma?

Thank you for your answer :+1:
  • Depending on the region, the models may have some configuration changes! Unfortunately, as the @GodnesScolleague said, this is cost cutting to save money!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)