Installed Linux alongside Windows 10 on a new Acer Aspire c24-865

System
System Member Posts: 4,518 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
edited March 20 in 2018 Archives
This discussion was created from comments split from: ACER TC 780 BIOS ISSUES.

Comments

• Ray2018
    Ray2018 Member Posts: 2 New User

I am a Linux user - very basic techie..Been using Linux for 16 years. Installed Linux alongside Windows 10 on a new Acer Aspire c24-865.
    PC boots straight in Windows ....
    Since I cannot access UEFI in this BIOS (version R02-A0),
    none of the solutions I have seen so far seem to apply .. Looking for help with this BIOS...

• Ray2018
    Ray2018 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Ray2018 said:

I did get Ubuntu to dual-boot following some advice.. got it after:          bcdedit /set (bootmgr) path \efi\ubuntu\shimx64.efi

I did came back to Windows only by reverting the above to original values bcdedit /set (bootmgr) path \efi\microsoft\boot\bootmgfw.efi

I did use Ubuntu for this debugging because of support notes from Ubuntu - my first try was with LinuxMint which I have been using for so long
    Now I would like to uninstall Ubuntu and move on with Linuxmint -  2 problems:
    1.- how to uninstall Ubuntu  
    2.- but the other problem is more serious - for some reason, my PC does not boot from the usb Linuxmint or Ubuntu stick anymore
    These sticks have been tested ok on another computer but on my PC,  I get to the standard Run Linuxmint or Run Ubuntu boot screen right off the usb booting - but after that the system goes dead?
    Standard BIOS was such an easy way in!! But I guess MS is making things tuffer and tuffer to replace Windows. It is a shame cause when you taste Linux and in my case Mate - can do whatever I want when I can get there... Thanks again people for your help..