Adding more drives to Acer Predator 9000 with only 2 sata connectors

Dauphinois
Dauphinois Member Posts: 23 Troubleshooter
edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
Hi,

Acer Predator 9000 PO9-600 was sold as having extensive storage capacity with 2 3,5" HDD and 4 2,5" SSD/HDD.
Today I tried adding another SSD SATA drive and I have noticed that even though there are plenty of sata power cables/connectors, there are only 2 sata data connectors on the motherboard. After further inspection, one cable is connected to the DVD drive while the other one is a dual cable and one leg is connected to the HDD drive. I was able to use the second leg to connect to the SSD drive.
Now if I want to add another or multiple drive(s), what would be the solution?
Would it be to replace the cables with ones with multiple connectors?

Thanks for your inputs.

Best Answer

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hello,
    I checked the motherboard layout and there are 4 SATA connectors:

France
  • FransvdBerg
    FransvdBerg Member Posts: 20 Networker
    i have the 9000 orion with 7800x processor and i can confirm there are 6 sata slots ( 4 Free  available ), 1 connected to the internal harddisk and 1 connected to the dvd drive
  • Dauphinois
    I was able to take another look at the motherboard of the PO9-600 (with i7-8700K) and I can confirm laurent_14's information.
    There are 4 sata connectors and only 3 cables provided. I would need to buy one.
  • Prennie
    Prennie Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

What do you mean with the second leg? I have only two sata data connectors, both of them without a second leg. One is connected to the pre-installed hard drive and the second is connected to the pre-installed DVD drive. So how do I install a third sata drive with only two data connectors?
  • Dauphinois
    Initially I thought there were only 2 connectors and one cable was connecting two devices as with PATA devices. 
    If you check laurent_14's information above, there are 4 SATA connectors on the motherboard and you need to buy a new SATA cable for connecting another device.

• Prennie
    Prennie Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited October 2019
    Thanks! Will buy a new data cable!

Is it correct I can only add one more HDD drive? I have two extra HDD drives I'd like to use...
  • Dauphinois
    You have 4 sata connectors on the motherboard, so you can have a maximum of 4 sata devices.

In my rig, I have also connected 4 sata HDD. I have unplugged the DVD-Drive over one year ago as I have never used it.