Chromebook 15 (CB515-1HT-P39B) factory reset when it enters sleep mode

JHuntVols
JHuntVols Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I've been having a problem for the past few days where everytime my computer goes into sleep mode it will trigger the initial setup process, i.e. the process of first setting up your chromebook when brand new. I've powerwashed the laptop multiple times but cannot get it to stop. Is there a setting buried in the system that is causing this? It seems more likely to be a defect. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Are you signed out before doing the power wash? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JHuntVols

Tinkerer

I don't manually sign out, but I'm fairly sure signing out is part of the powerwash process?
  • JackE
    Try manually signing out. Then follow the directions below. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JHuntVols

Tinkerer

Jack,
    Tried that but am still experiencing the same problem. 
  • JHuntVols

Tinkerer

Now my speakers are making this awful noise. 
  • JackE
    The machine is retaining memory it shouldn't. The battery must be disconnected. So sign out. Shut down. Remove charger. Follow instructions below to remove back cover to disconnect battery from the mainboard for 15 mins. Then reconnect the battery. Replace the cover without the screws as we may have to disconnect the battery again. Plug the charger back in. Restart and sign in. If things are still screwed up, do another power wash as above. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JHuntVols

Tinkerer

Jack,
    Sorry for the delayed response. I disconnected the battery then done another powerwash but am still running into the same issue. 
  • JackE
    Still retaining memory. We've got to remove the battery again for a longer period of time. Say overnight. Also press & hold the power button for about minute with the battery removed. Then button back up and try it again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JHuntVols

Tinkerer

Jack,
    Unplugged the battery and left it unplugged overnight. Still had the same issue, however I noticed a solution. It seems this started when I had a microsd card in the system. I can take that out and shut it down or let it sleep, then the next use will not require setting up the OS again. I find it very odd I can't leave a SD card in the system without causing the OS to reset itself to factory default. 
  • JackE
    Good catch. I suppose the SD card could've been used by Chrome as temporary storage to complete an update process when it was turned back on. So every time you re-started the machine, it thought it was still completing the update process. Stranger things have happened.  :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ