Connection Problems on A500 tablet

karenML
karenML Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 18 in 2020 Archives
I purchased an Acer Iconia Tab A500 second hand and it was working fine for the previous owner.  He did a factory reset before giving it to me.  When I try to access some (most) websites, I get a Connection Problem pop up that says "A secure connection could not be established."  I can use Google, and get search results, but when I click on the webpage that I want to open, I get the error.  It doesn't happen on all sites....for instance I cannot get into Target.com, but I did a random Google search on some lyrics that were on the radio, and it returned results, one of which was azlyrics.com, and when I clicked on that, it opened the web page.  

Also, I am not using Google Chrome as my web browser, though I wish I could, but it is not in my Google Play Store.  Is that because my tablet does not support it?  I tried downloading Firefox, and it downloaded, but it won't work.  So I am on some random browser.  (I have tried a few random browsers, and they all return this connection problem error.)

I have done the following to no avail:
  • turned the tablet off and back on
  • I did another factory reset
  • verified the date/time on my tablet
  • "Forgot" my wi-fi connection and reentered it
  • Went into the Advanced settings of my Wi-Fi connection and changed the IP setting to Static, then reentered the IP address, Gateway, DNS settings, etc. (which I don't even know what these are)

The tablet worked fine for the previous owner.  Is it because when he went back to the Factory Settings, now it is outdated or something?  I only spent $50 on this, but I was really hoping it would work.  I have spent too much time trying to figure it out, and I have the technical abilities of a sloth.  Please help.

Comments

• FERBUS
    FERBUS Member Posts: 5 New User
    I have same problem what I have to fo please
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    This is an issue with the browsers being too old to support the current encryption technology. Many, if not most, websites require HTTPS connections, and the newer algorithms used don't work with older machines. Your A500 is from 2011, so not quite 20 years old. You need at least Android 4.4 and whatever the newest Chrome version is that runs on it. The problem is that 4.0 was the last version released for the A500. :(
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JBS001
    JBS001 Member Posts: 1 New User
    There is a solution for you both, just install Opera Mini browser from the Play Store, and you'll be able to use HTTPS:// content.  
    I am running Android 4.0.3. Your 50$ is not lost.