Trashing an Acer desktop

TrickyFox
TrickyFox Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited March 1 in 2018 Archives
OK, so I'm disappointed at the apparent lack of upgradeability of the TWO Acer desktops we have just bought. Probably shouldn't ask but is it feasible to buy a decent case and use the components to build a more practical machine?

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The SSD plugs into an M.2 slot towards the back of the motherboard. Doesn't need a drive bay. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Sweet! Nice to know it's all working together. Yes, as long at the actual ports match it's just a matter of swapping the plates using those two screws.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Which Acers did you buy? In what way are they not upgradable for you? In general you can replace most components, but some small case models are tougher.
  • TrickyFox
    A TC-885 - can't add a second hard drive unless I junk the 3.5" 1Tb drive and buy 2 new 2.5" drives. Similar story with the XC-780 although not so bothered about this one as it is a small case. But really, the 885 is a decent size case but the hard drive and DVD are both mounted vertically and waste space. Also can't believe in this day and age neither machine came with wifi as standard.
  • billsey
    Yeah, both of those models are designed to fit the user with the lowest price point. They each have SKUs with built in WiFi and SKUs with built in SSD but the primary goal was to have the base as inexpensive as possible. If yours don't have WiFi you must have gotten the cheapest SKU since the WiFi card is populated on most of them. The upgrade paths on these pretty much follow the options in the various SKUs, WiFi first then SSD, then SSD and HDD, then memory and processor bumps.
  • TrickyFox
    Neither of ours have SSD's. We live on Fuerteventura so our buying options/choices are very limited. Originally bought the 780 as my wife wanted something just to run Corel (we have been using macs). Then decided to bite the bullet and go wholly back to Windows. The 885 had the fastest processor available in the shop. It only had 8gb RAM and 2gb Graphics - I have ordered 32gb RAM and a 6gb graphics card.
  • billsey
    It must be beautiful there, I've always wanted to visit the Canaries... I gather that sources such as Amazon don't deliver in your location? The SSD is going to be the biggest 'bang for your buck' in terms of overall system improvement. The WiFi card is only worthwhile if you don't have relatively easy access for Ethernet wiring. Note that a WiFi upgrade will likely require a set of antennas in addition to the card itself, since I doubt they populate the antennas on SKUs that don't have the WiFi card. Watch for space when ordering the GPU card, the drive bays may be in the way for full length cards.
  • TrickyFox
    Yes, sometimes I can get stuff from Amazon - I've ordered the Graphics card and RAM from there. I wouldn't buy an actual computer from there though and we wanted it quick anyway. I considered GAME, they have loads of stuff on their site but sadly nothing seems to be in stock here. I will have to look at an SSD then, see if there is enough space. We have a DLink wifi adapter in at present for connection. Will definitely have to check the graphic card space today before Amazon despatch it.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    The SSD plugs into an M.2 slot towards the back of the motherboard. Doesn't need a drive bay. :)
  • TrickyFox
    Am I right in thinking that not all SSD's are m.2 connection though? I will have to try and identify if the motherboard has an m.2 connection.
  • billsey
    Yes, you are right. SSDs come in several form factors but the most common are 2.5" and M.2. The 2.5" look like normal older laptop drives and the M.2 are circuit boards.
  • TrickyFox
    I've ordered an SSD from Amazon UK. Should come about the same time as the new RAM and graphics card. Going to be busy just before Christmas.
  • billsey
    Hey, Christmas is a good time to do updates, you typically have more 'home time' than the rest of the year. :)
  • TrickyFox
    billsey said:
    Hey, Christmas is a good time to do updates, you typically have more 'home time' than the rest of the year. :)
    I'm retired so home all day. Delivery of RAM and graphics card is due on 20th, SSD on 21st.
  • TrickyFox
    Why do they make the cases so inaccessible? I can't see if there are any spare power leads. All the cabling is tucked tightly behind the DVD. I can see one spare connector but I need at least one SATA power lead for the GPU. I might as well built one from scratch. Why can't you take the rear cover off?
  • billsey
    Heheh, kind of goes with the territory when you try to cram more and more into smaller and smaller cases. :) The GPU uses a SATA power connector instead of the normal four or six pin? Either way, to get easy access to that bundle of wiring probably means pulling that HDD bracket up. You're going to need to do that in order to get access to the M.2 slot for the SSD anyway. If there isn't the right power connector there are likely adapters that Y out from one that's already in use.
  • TrickyFox
    Yes, the GPU uses a 6 pin connector (I thought this was a SATA one). I took out the HDD and DVD and discovered a spare power connector (SATA?) and bought an adapter with a 6pin plug which a friend is bringing over for me on Wednesday. The new RAM and GPU arrived yesterday nearly a week earlier than expected. I bought a 'standard' SSD, not an m.2 one as I couldn't see the slots on the motherboard, and will to disconnect the DVD to connect this (we don't need the DVD). Thanks for your help.
  • billsey
    Hey, any time. :) I think you'll be more than pleased with where you're taking your system. Looks like a nice build.
  • TrickyFox
    I do not believe it!!!!! I've got all the bits now but I didn't notice the power cable to the DVD is different to the HDD, so currently can connect the existing HDD and new video card or existing HDD and new SSD or new video card and SSD but not all 3 together. Grrrrrrrrrr!
  • billsey
    Oh sheesh... I didn't even think of that. The slimline ODDs have that little combo connector that fits so much better in a laptop. I ran into the same thing swapping the DVD out for an SSD in my old laptop.
  • TrickyFox
    Lo and behold, when I delved deeper, I found that there was another connector just behind the small one. Et viola - it was the correct size. Everything now installed and working - just needs tweaking. So, new build is now i7-8700 with 32gb RAM, 256gb SSD with 3tb secondary drive, EVGA GTX1060 with 6gb (had to junk the DVD) - hope the wife is pleased now. Was hoping to but the card out of her machine into mine but mine is a compact case and the end plate on her old graphics card is too big. Can I swap the end plate from my old video card? Looks to be a case of just undoing the two nuts.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Sweet! Nice to know it's all working together. Yes, as long at the actual ports match it's just a matter of swapping the plates using those two screws.