CB3-111 C4HT not charging

Options
cameronjbest
cameronjbest Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hey there,

I have a used CB3-111 C4HT chromebook that is stuck at 1% and not charging. I've left it plugged in for hours with no luck. It's out of warranty so I'm hoping for some help here.

I've tried multiple solutions to repair this chromebook. I've replaced the battery, and have tried hard resets. I was this solution (https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/493607/cb3-111-c8ub-not-charging), but the DC jack seems to be separate from the motherboard. Is this still a motherboard issue and it needs to be replaced?

It also makes a very high pitched noise while on, but that's most likely a separate issue.

Thanks for your help!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    I assume you have tried a new power supply already? That's the problem most often. Some models do have a daughter board that holds the power jack, just so you don't have to replace the whole motherboard when the jack is damaged. Do you have the tools to test voltages?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • cameronjbest
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I tried a different power supply, but I'll double check again. That was what I was hinting at in my original post, was if it does happen to be a hardware issue, can I just replace the daughter board or the full motherboard. I don't have a multimeter, unfortunately.
  • billsey
    Options
    There's not a lot that can go wrong with the daughter board other than the jack and wires. You should inspect the jack closely to make sure the center electrode is there and not bent. When you plug the power in there should be a bit if resistance that gives a little click as you fully seat it. If that all seems good disconnect the wires between the daughter and mother and then reconnect them and plug power back in again. You've already replaced the battery so the wiring between it and the motherboard should be good.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • cameronjbest
    Options
    Sorry for the delay in responding, I was just able to get back to the computer.

The new charger did not work. The center electrode is there and doesn't seem to be bent. The computer turns on when plugged in, and will show two blue lights for power and data, before the power light turning amber. I left it to see if it would charge, and it turned off by itself and wont turn back on until I unplug and replug in the power cable.

I keep mistaking the headphone jack for the power port, so the plug is actually on the motherboard. Audio jack is on the daughter. Is it time to replace the motherboard?
  • cameronjbest
    Options
    billsey - 

Before I jump the gun and order a replacement, could it be something else or is that the safest bet?
  • billsey
    Options
    And you were right, I was looking at the audio jack as well. So there are only two parts to the charging system, the motherboard and the battery. Since you replaced the battery already it's got to be an issue with the motherboard. It could be the physical power jack and how it connects to the motherboard or it could be a problem with the circuitry on the motherboard. Either way a replacement is likely your best bet, short of just replacing the system (and sometimes that comes in as best when you do a cost/benefit analysis).
  • Smon
    Smon Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I am having the same issue with my Chromebook (CB3 111) in that it it has the blue light which means fully charged and yet only 1% battery.  The orange light pops on and off every so often.  It will work fine if I leave it plugged in but not ideal when I want to move around!  I am not very technical so the references to motherboard, etc. are way over my head - is there anything I can try or should I just accept that I need a new computer? Definitely out of warranty.
  • cameronjbest
    Options
    Thank you Smon for the bump, I have a follow up.

I was able to replace the motherboard and left the computer to charge overnight. It got up to 100%, but once unplugged dropped quickly down to 1% again and now will not charge back up. I've treid every combination of new/old motherboard and battery with multiple chargers and no luck on anything. I'm out of warranty as well, so unless someone has another recommendation, I'm chalking it up to a dead machine. Not worth it for me to spend more money on a faulty system.
  • Smon
    Smon Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I think I am at the same stage - not really worth spending more money if it's not going to do anything and I definitely not capable of doing any work on the machine myself.