Acer B247Y 24" Monitor and AMD Ryzen Laptops

Stacy19001
Stacy19001 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 22 in 2018 Archives

I noticed and issue with the ThinkPad A485 (AMD Ryzen) and DisplayPort audio. If using either the Lenovo Pro dock or the Lenovo USB-C dock, I'm unable to get sound to come through my Acer B247Y 24" monitors using a DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. The monitors have built-in speakers. It seems Windows 10 thinks it's sending the audio through to the monitors, but nothing comes out. Connecting the HDMI port on the side of the A485 to HDMI on the monitor will produce sound. Using a DisplayPort to female HDMI adapter from the back of either docking station and then connecting an HDMI cable to the adapter and then to HDMI on the monitor will also produce sound. There are no settings on the monitor that seem to do anything for it. I can select the Acer AMD High Definition Audio source in Sound Properties and the little equalizer meter moves when you right-click "Test sound", just no audio comes out using DisplayPort to DisplayPort. I'm not sure if this is an issue with USB-C and DP Alt-Mode which the A485 uses for either the Pro dock or USB-C dock. It doesn't matter if just one Acer monitor or two are connected. No sound using AMD Ryzen laptops.

This does not seem to be an issue with an Intel-based machines using USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 or just Intel and DisplayPort audio.

Other testing I've done.

1. DisplayPort to DisplayPort does produce sound through the Acer monitor with the Pro dock and the Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 dock using a ThinkPad T480 (Intel). DisplayPort to HDMI will also produce sound.

2. DisplayPort to DisplayPort does produce sound through the Acer monitor on the HP EliteBook 745 G5 (also AMD Ryzen) and the HP UltraSlim docking station. DisplayPort to HDMI will also produce sound.

3. DisplayPort to DisplayPort does not produce sound through the Acer monitor on the HP EliteBook 745 G5 and the HP USB-C dock (DP Alt-mode). DisplayPort to HDMI will produce sound.

4. Connecting an HP Z24nq 24" monitor to one DisplayPort input and the Acer B247Y to the other will produce sound on both monitors - This is the strangest!

Comments

• Stacy19001
    Stacy19001 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited November 2018
    I've narrowed this issue down to something on the Acer B247Y 24" Monitor. I connected two HP Z24nq monitors to both HP and Lenovo AMD Ryzen laptops using DisplayPort to DisplayPort cables and both monitors will play sound. For some reason using USB-C docking stations with these AMD Ryzen laptops and connecting the Acer B247Y monitor(s) will not produce sound if using DisplayPort. This is an AMD issue as I've connected several Intel based laptops using USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 and the two Acer monitors will always play sound. The issue is very strange because If one of the Acer's is connected via DisplayPort and then connect the HP Z24nq via the other DisplayPort, the Acer will start to play sound. Disconnect the HP monitor and the Acer stops playing sound. I don't get it.