Power Supply to CPU Nitro 5 AN515-53

Options
Student_t1
Student_t1 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have Nitro 5 AN515-53 laptop with i5 8300h processor, WIndows 10 1809. It used to run normally, with normal temperatures, and the power supply to processor was in normal range, it varied from 2-3 watts when unplugged to maximum when it is plugged. The average frequency when unplugged was 0.8 GHz to whatever, depending on tasks that I do. I always had it undervolted at least 120mv, and everything was just fune, with 0.750 to 0.800 mv when unplugged, and more than 1.000 mv when plugged, with battery life around 4 hours. However once I upgraded system  to 1809, and installed drivers from SDI driverpack, which I also used previously and it was ok, the cpu is constantly running at 2.3 GHz, when unplugged, which is weird and something I didn't expect to happen. I then reinstalled  Windows and used several versions of drivers, from official site and from different driverpacks, but nothing helped, and processor still runs at 2.3 GHz, gets really hot both when unplugged and plugged, and the minimum power supply is 14Watt, most of the time being more than 15 Watt, which I suppose is normal, since H processors work from 15 to 45 Wt. Nonetheless, how to get rid of this high energy consumption, I want it back, when it used to be normal, when unplugged it was 4-5 watts of energy consumption, and battery life was great, as now it is enough for around 1 and a half of hour, which is ruining my battery. Did anyone also experience such problem? I think that drivers are main issue, and can anyone tell which drivers should I delete or downgrade to get everything normal? 

Answers

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    What is your Power Plan set at currently? This sounds like you went from 'Balanced' to 'Performance' when on battery.

Also, I would not run any program that automatically installs or updates drivers for you. I assume that is what 'SDI driverpack' is. I would bet heavily that therein lies your real problem, and not the Windows 1809 update.

As a general rule, if the driver is not provided by Acer it is not guaranteed to work. Even Intel/AMD vanilla drivers are not intended to be installed on most optimized systems. I would look up your specific model on the Acer website and then use only their drivers on the laptop.