Aspire R R5-471T WIll not PXE Boot

Options
JamesObZ
JamesObZ Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hey all,

I have an Aspire R R5-471T laptop and need to be able to boot from network to install a custom image i have created via MDT.
I have a Dell USB adaptor that supports PXE, but this is not working with this Acer laptop.

What adaptor must be purchased so i can boot this machine over the network please?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    With the adapter installed, does the BIOS Boot tab show the network option in the priority list? If yes, you'll probably have to--
    (1) set and save a BIOS supervisor password in the Security tab.
    (2) Then re-enter the BIOS with the password to disable secure boot in the Boot menu.
    (3) Change the boot order with the network boot on top of the priority list.
    (4) You might also have to add a network trusted UEFI file in the Security tab.
    (5) You should also enable the F12 boot option in the Main tab to be able to select between Network and Local boot.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• JamesObZ

Tinkerer

Options
    With the adapter installed, does the BIOS Boot tab show the network option in the priority list?
    Yes.  Number 1 is Network Boot-IPV4

(1) set and save a BIOS supervisor password in the Security tab.
    Not sure I understand why this would be required, but I have done so regardless.

(2) Then re-enter the BIOS with the password to disable secure boot in the Boot menu.
    Done

(3) Change the boot order with the network boot on top of the priority list.
    Already done.

(4) You might also have to add a network trusted UEFI file in the Security tab.
    If you enter this setting, the next screen is a blank page with no options to configure anything.  I dont believe this section is relevant, as its not like PXE is booting and then failing at a further stage.  It simply is not recognised.

(5) You should also enable the F12 boot option in the Main tab to be able to select between Network and Local boot.
    This was already set.  When mashing F12 at start-up there is no option to boot into PXE, despite 'Network Boot' being enabled.  I have tried with UEFI and Legacy with secure boot enabled and disabled.

Do I not need a specific Acer PXE adapter?  Are you saying my Dell one should be sufficient?
    I'm leaning towards Acer probably want us to buy a specific adaptor that works with their laptops?  Cant see any config changes i'm overlooking at would make this work.
  • JackE
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Leave BIOS in UEFI mode unless server network is set to work only with legacy. Try all 3 A USB ports one by one if you haven't done so already. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JamesObZ

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi Jack,

I have tried all 3 USB ports.  Same outcome with all of them.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JackE
    Options
    Last resort I guess. Be careful. I'm outta ideas on this one. :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JamesObZ

Tinkerer

Options
    I was using the latest BIOS during all my testing.  So, i have now tried everything as far as i am aware with the hardware i have at my disposal.

I have read around the net that some people have been in the same situation and then they have used another adaptor and it works.  I know this is the 3rd time i have mentioned this, but i am becoming more convinced that these devices perhaps need a brand specific adaptor.  Is the laptop requiring a specific driver to PXE boot that is not compatible with my Dell PXE adaptor for example?

Can anyone else confirm they have PXE booted this device using a non-brand Acer PXE adaptor, using either of the 3 USB ports (not the USB-C one as my adaptor doesn't have this connection).  If so what adaptor is being used?
  • JackE
    Options
    Sorry. Looks like you're gonna have to shell out another £50.  https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/563433/#Comment_563433

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B076ZWLDWW/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1543491926&sr=8-1&keywords=NP.CAB1A.016&condition=new

Sorta reminds me of universal microUSB chargers for mobilephones. Some of them work, some not, depending on the phone mfr or service provider. 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JamesObZ

Tinkerer

Options
    I have ordered this adaptor.  £20 from the official Acer store.  Should arrive within a week, i will let you know if it works.
    Thanks for the assistance.
  • JackE
    Options
    Wow! Cheaper from the official ACER store! Does that include shipping? :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JamesObZ

Tinkerer

Options
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/NP.CAB1A.016 > Buy Now
    £19.99, free shipping yes.
  • JackE
    edited November 2018
    Options
    That's cheaper than US! I wonder if it'll work with the macines you have? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JamesObZ

Tinkerer

Options
    Guess i will have to wait and find out.  At least its an official adaptor from Acer themselves and not some knock-off part.
    Most odd that it is so much more expensive on Amazon from other sellers and also more in the US.  Suspicious!
  • JackE
    Options
    Yeah. That surprised me too.

Just to be double sure we didn't miss anything in the BIOS settings, the network boot is enabled in the Main tab, correct?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JamesObZ

Tinkerer

Options
    Yep, nothing was overseen apart from your point below that i mentioned earlier:

4) You might also have to add a network trusted UEFI file in the Security tab.
    If you enter this setting, the next screen is a blank page with no options to configure anything.
  • JamesObZ

Tinkerer

Options
    To confirm, the adaptor has now arrived.  I can boot into PXE successfully.  So if anyone else is having this same problem, in all likeliness you need the correct adaptor!
  • JackE
    Options
    Thanks for the report. Does it also work in your other machines like the Dell adapter? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ