Acer Nitro 5 Charging when Gaming

2»

Answers

• mike_aldwin
    mike_aldwin Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Have you tried setting the battery too for high performance and turning off batteryboost in geforce experience settings?
    Yeah, battery is in high perf and batteryboost was never turned on. I should note that I tried gaming while plugged in when I didn't disable the drivers but but the performance was bottlenecked cause the system thinks it's in battery mode even though the percentage isn't going down. Tbh I don't really know what the damage is but disabling the drivers helped.
  • Are there any antivirus software that may be interfering with notebook performance? Have you tried uninstalling the AC adapter and battery drivers in Device Manager?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • mike_aldwin

Tinkerer

Are there any antivirus software that may be interfering with notebook performance? Have you tried uninstalling the AC adapter and battery drivers in Device Manager?
    Well, my only AV is Defender. Actually tried that first but didn't work, unfortunately. I'll be having this diagnosed at the acer center once I have the time, will update in this thread their findings. 
  • mike_aldwin

Tinkerer

So eventually the battery drained and it didn't charge anymore. Took it to the center and after a few days they told the problem is with the main board. Its very expensive, like more than half the price of a brand new laptop. 

Tried to google some more answers, one that gave me hope is the interlock button but unfortunately that slot for mine is empty. If its not with the interlock button, i think this laptop is a bust. Its a nitro 5 515-52
  • Some models, depending on the motherboard revision, have the black interrupt button next to ram memory. I still think this is not a hardware problem. Have you tried reinstalling windows 10 by pressing alt + f10?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • mike_aldwin

Tinkerer

Some models, depending on the motherboard revision, have the black interrupt button next to ram memory. I still think this is not a hardware problem. Have you tried reinstalling windows 10 by pressing alt + f10?
    Will try it once I pick up the laptop and be able to power it on. Their diagnosis is that the power is not going through the main board. I'm hoping it's not a main board issue as well. 
  • Ok! Post the result here.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Davros1212
    Davros1212 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I also am having the same problem, new out of the box (so still under warantee) spoke with Acer on the phone and was told "there is nothing wrong with the laptop" and "I have never heard of such an issue" (literally found 100s of examples on this forum in 2 seconds) I have since sent a video of the issue to the Acer team as suggested by customer support and not heard anything back.

To be more specific I have a Nitro 5 AN517-51, graphics card is  NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660Ti and whenever I run any games it seems to stop the charging, drop the FPS down (which is annoying if I'm in a competitive game on OW) and not charge.

Previously I could game, provided the laptop was at 100% when I begun, but it seems this too, has stopped. Laptop works in instances like now when I am posting to this site, it's happily charging away. It does seem to be when the fans boot up while I'm playing that it cuts it. I have tried running the fans first at roughly those speeds but I've had the laptop 5 days now, so haven't had all the time to try everything.

This is extremely disappointing, and would stop me buying an Acer laptop ever again. I'll probably end up returning the laptop for my money back, but I'm willing to work with the quirks if I can game in peace.

Any advice would be appreciated. (Other than resetting the battery, not sure if it's plugged in while gaming, and charging while not gaming how it can be the battery's fault) though happy to be convinced this is a solution.
  • @Davros1212Ideally, you should create a new topic for greater visibility.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• AMDKilla
    AMDKilla Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Some Intel/Nvidia versions of the Nitro 5 series have been known to draw more power than the wall adapter can provide, whence why it starts cutting into the battery charging. The more power it draws, the less is available for charging, and if it draws more than the adapter can provide, it will draw from the battery too, meaning the battery will eventually deplete. When it does this, it is usually noted to make the beep that indicates youve plugged in the charger. You may have to underclock your processor to avoid it happening.
  • Martynas1992
    Martynas1992 Member Posts: 3 New User
    try to go to power options and click Processor Power Management - Minimum Processor state and set it up to 99% (Plugged in) instead of 100%, then do the same with Maximum Processor state 99% (Plugged in) and 99% (On Battery )..

I have exact same issue with my Nitro 5, looks like this is the only thing that helped me.