Can't enable Freesync on my Acer KG251Q 240Hz monitor

Options
protihero
protihero Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 23 in 2020 Archives
Hello guys I have some issue with getting Freesync work, I have just bought a Sapphire RX570 Pulse and in the videocard driver the Freesync status say it's not supported. In the monitor OSD I can't find any options to enable it manually. Any guess/solution much apperciated.

Answers

• peptobismal
    peptobismal Member Posts: 31 Troubleshooter
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Hmmm... I have found old guides that say it must be enabled on the monitor.

However, looking up the guide for this monitor shows that there is no such option. AMD's website says that FreeSync is only supported on DisplayPort 1.2 or higher. Have you checked your monitor advanced settings to see if it is running at 240Hz? You can also go to www.testufo.com and see if it is, do not use Internet Explorer as that browser caps at 120Hz.

Also there are drivers on this site for your monitor that you might want to try out, though they are for "Windows 8" they may work?

Other than a very useless manual on this site, I found this:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-013#faq-Monitor-Configuration

Also, another tidbit...

https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

Shows that no listings for your monitor model supports FreeSync 2 (maaaybe different from FreeSync?). However, it does show that it supports Low Framerate Compensation (LFC)... info can be found here: https://www.amd.com/Documents/freesync-lfc.pdf

This shows that is supported: https://www.blurbusters.com/freesync/list-of-freesync-monitors/ but only at 144Hz?
  • protihero
    Options
    Hey, thanks for the quick response!

I checked, it's DP 1.2 and the 240Hz is working fine. Testufo checks too. I've installed the driver, unfortunately still no change. Yes, the FreeSync 2 supports HDR or smthing like that, but it's off the table anyway. The box and the website shows it is supported. I have missed the exact monitor name from the question: Acer KG251QDbmiipx.

Maybe it's going to be an RMA, since my local tistributor's support couldn't provide me solution/anwer yet.
  • PolygonThief
    PolygonThief Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hey protihero, did you ever find a fix for this? I have the same monitor and cannot get freesync to work no matter what! I cant even find the option, and the Adrenaline software doesn't see the monitor as freesync compatible. Thanks in advance! :)
  • protihero
    Options
    Hi PolygonThief!
    My issue have been solved, but I don't know how. My local store suggested that I should reinstall windows, but that didn't solve it either, the adrenaline driver still didn't recognized as supported monitor. I've just plugged cables HDMI and DP in and out and somehow it worked (with DP at last). I have an nVidia GTX 1070 too and now it supports freesync, but didn't work before (though the GeForce driver had that freesync support). As I remember I've restored the default monitor settings before installing drivers. I will investigate more in the future what happened.
  • PolygonThief
    PolygonThief Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    It's good to know you got it working somehow! I will try resetting the monitor, try to reinstall drivers, and do some unplugging/replugging of the HDMI and DP cables and see what happens. Thanks so much!
  • diegokauf
    diegokauf Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited July 2019
    Options
    hola tengo, entrada HDMI a mi tarjeta grafica 1070ti con el monitor KG251Q y no tengo la opcion de activar freesync por ningun lado. Como lo resolvieron?

Hi, I have, HDMI input to my 1070ti graphics card with the KG251Q monitor and I don't have the option to activate freesync anywhere. How did they solve it?

[Posted in Spanish Language - Edited by Acer-David using Google Translator]
  • protihero
    Options
    I don't have nvidia card anymore, but I got it working 240Hz "freesync" with DP 1.2 (monitor OSD settings DP 1.2 too) thru nvidia control panel. There are articles about the setup, it just went the same way as the descriptions/videos online. GeForce driver must be up to date for sure
  • Kombo
    Kombo Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    what would you recommend me to try
  • Kombo
    Options
    the first 2 days it worked fine then it shut off all of a sudden and i cant re-enable it
  • Kombo
    Options
    i unplugged and plugged up the hdmi and dp port cables,then turned off my computer for the night.And when i woke up the next day i checked and it was back working