Getting a SSD mounting kit in the United Kingdom for an "Aspire VX5-591G" Laptop.

Options
Azrin
Azrin Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello all.

To be perfectly blunt, I am having no luck with getting an SSD mounting kit for my laptop even after following instructions from ACER support. Here's what Acer support said:

"please contact our spares department on ************ they should be able to help you."

So I did as support advised. Later, the "spares" department personnel told me that my SNID does not come up on their systems and later I was asked to give the model number of my laptop which I was told was "VX5-591G". At this point, I was told that there were no parts available here. The guy then asked me if I bought the laptop here in the UK. I told the guy that I bought the laptop overseas (in Malaysia) at a legit shop (I even have the product registered on ACER's website) but still no luck.

This is starting to feel like its more trouble than its worth. I don't think the laptop model differs from country to country so why on Earth do they not have the parts i am looking for?

Sory about the rant. Any suggestions would be helpful.

(Post edited to remove personal information - Acer-Harvey)

Answers

• Azrin

Tinkerer

Options
    This is just me venting:

Could someone also explain to me why Acer doesn't simply sell this kind of stuff?

There seems to be just a bunch of websites that sell the pieces I need but its never whole. So I have to pay delivery for all the parts on top of the price of the items I need. This amounts to about 20 pounds which feels like a rip-off. Is no one selling just a whole mounting kit? I know US and Canada users can get the whole mounting kit but this stuff is impossible to find here in the UK. Acer has the means; so what gives?

Absolutely frustrating; holy smokes.

• peptobismal
    peptobismal Member Posts: 31 Troubleshooter
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Why would you need a mounting kit for a 2.5" drive to 2.5" drive? I am a little confused. Unless it has an M.2 and no mounting kit for a 2.5"? And can't you just get one off eBay if it is a standard bracket? I mean all laptops I have seen or worked on have a very similar bracket if not the exact same...

Plus not to mention they can be... rigged to work if they aren't an exact match. Cut the screw mount and just... I dunno figure out another way to secure the tray? Sounds dumb, but if it is hidden by an HDD door on the bottom then I am sure even just putting a little bit of rubber padding on the door may keep it secure.
  • Azrin

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi peptobismal. Thanks for responding.

Your spot on.

I've been using this video as a guide (its the same laptop model too):

Long story short: I need a mounting kit to I *think* mount a 2.5" SSD drive above my 2.5" HDD drive. Might be wrong here.

So I've been looking for such a mounting kit but am unsure which to get exactly; i.e. is there a specific model I need to get to make it compatible with my laptop and stuff like that. I'm a newbie in such things.

• Azrin

Tinkerer

edited November 2018
    Options
    Just to add, according to:

The parts I *think* I need are:
    Part number: 50.GM1N2.005 for the cable.
    Part number: 33.GM1N2.002 for HDD bracket.

Won't I not be able to mount the SSD if I dont use these exact parts?

Also I'm not sure if the websites linked in the provided link are trustworthy. Plus, some off them are in Scandinavian.

I'm being paranoid I know but I want to be sure I'm getting the right things.

• Azrin

Tinkerer

Options
    Ok. So I decided I wanted it enough so I bought the:
    a) 50.GM1N2.005 for the cable.
    b) 33.GM1N2.002 for HDD bracket.
    from Stuff-uk.net. Still think its overly pricy.

My question is where should I look to find the screws to mount the SSD and the bracket?

Purchasing online seems to be out of the options (too pricy). Anyone know any local UK stores that might sell such screws?