Helios 300 boot problem,

Options
Rinji07
Rinji07 Member Posts: 33 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
FInally get the laptop running great and now I am having issues with the booting of it. I am going insane I fix one issue another comes up!... 

Bios: 1.20
Model: predator Helios 300
Config:7700/1060/16gb ram upgraded to 32gb
Stock ssd, added 860 evo 2.5 inch 1tb ssd for storage 

Issue: upon trying to boot the keyboard will flicker/flash for only a moment/nano second no screen turn on no nothing! Charging light indicator is blue if I plug in the charger. I have a usb powered cooling pad and notice that when the activity light comes on it will power the fans in the cooling pad as well but only for a moment, screen doesnt light up or anything.

What I've done: The only way I can seemingly get it to come back on is to take out all the screws on the bottom, and disconnect the battery and wait, i've hit the sw2 and sw3 buttons just cause why not at this point. Once I plug it all back up and put it all back together it kicks on, Is this a normal issue or maybe due to bios 1.20? I have only gotten it since that bios was installed. Have done battery reset but that did nothing.

Answers

• Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    when you remove the back cover, tighten all the screws of the mainboard and connector boards. plus the screws on the heatsinks. see what happens
    My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    Also i dont know whether you have it or not (i dont), there is a switch near the ram slots, which is switched on / off by a stub on the ram slot cover. check whether it is making proper contact with the switch.

my new 2018 helios 300 does not have that switch. the contact points of the switch are shorted on the mainboard itself.
    My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • Rinji07
    Rinji07 Member Posts: 33 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options
    I see the stub thing your talking about, but I am unsure of if it is making contact, I removed the 1tb 960 2.5 inch ssd and so far it seems to be booting every single time, I don't know if this has any correlation to my issue but it seems to be working.. I just find it odd the keyboard would flash for only a second tops and the light would / might stay on the charging port- activity light then they would both shut off. Sometimes my usb cooling pad would run but no screen display. I tried for nine hours at work to get it to come on and nothing... Finally found a screwdriver undid the bottom and removed the ssd slapped it all back together and it fired right up like nothing was ever wrong and has every since. I am almost afraid to stick a 2ndary HD in it. I am waiting to see if it does it again.