Helios .300 - Fortnite fps drops from 130 to 10

Pauly12
Pauly12 Member Posts: 48 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
i play fortnite on full hd, everything high .. i have 8750h, 1060 gtx.. i got random fps drops from 100 till 10 for no reason .. even when i decrease the quality of the details and resolution, the fps drops are still happening randomly even from 150 to 10-20.. how to fix it please

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,735 Pathfinder
    Did you optimize windows for all the background processes disabling? Did you undervolt CPU (using throttlestop) and GPU (using MSI afterburner)? These will reduce temps by over 20 degrees.
    If you do not want to do this, increase height of laptop using feltpads under its 4 feet to about an inch, and get an external USB fan (use an external power supply, not laptop usb port). This should reduce temps by about 5-10 degrees and have your system not go into power throttling mode (possible reason for your frame drops).
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
  • Pauly12
    is it safe to undervolt CPU? i heard about MSI afterburner
  • sri369
    Yes sir.. it is! Use ThrottleStop to undervolt CPU and MSI Afterburner to undervolt GPU.

Below are my CPU and GPU UV values - GPU is set at 935. I would recommend you set yours at 1025 and start reducing from there. But don't go below 975 if you are on Windows 10.

-----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
  • Pauly12
    I undervolted my CUP using throttle stop ... with GPU should i overclock it or?
  • Pauly12
    I did this with throttlestop because my CPU is i7 8750h .. do u have any tutorial on what else should I do with afterburner pls? i dont want to just pick a random tutorial because im not sure what im supposed to do else with afterburner
  • sri369
    No overclocking needed. Install MSI, and set the GPU voltage graph (open it using Ctrl-F) and set it like I set it (but min at 975) and save it. That's all.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
  • Pauly12
    this is how mine looks.. i started going down from 981mV. is it good settings for Windows 10? should I be turning on afterburner every time i start on the computer? should i enable that startup icon in afterburner?
  • Pauly12
    tthese are my temperature when i play fortnite
  • edzul
    edzul Member Posts: 3 New User
    Pauly12 said:
    tthese are my temperature when i play fortnite
    Did you solve it? I am having exactly the same issue, Thanks in advance
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,253 Pathfinder
    edited January 2019
    First of all fortnite and pubg are really bad optimized games and the devs don't care about it never cared and never will so everyone suffers on high temps and throttling with those games and those temps still seem a bit high to me you are still suffering from thermal throttling with those temps if TS didn't lowered you temps you might even have a bad thermal paste application (which you would need a repaste with a proper thermal paste) try any other games (optimized preferably) and check your temps because as i said those 2 are not optimized in any way and in order to get the exact real temp numbers u need to try it with proper games

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• sri369
    Pauly12 said:
    this is how mine looks.. i started going down from 981mV. is it good settings for Windows 10? should I be turning on afterburner every time i start on the computer? should i enable that startup icon in afterburner?
    Yes. It needs to be on 100% of time for the optimization to be effective. Turn on auto start feature.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful