Acer Switch Alpha 12 SA5-271-39N9 Screen failed - what to do?

marknohr
marknohr Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

edited March 4 in 2018 Archives

Answers

• Hi,
    You may have to send it for a service to Acer Support centre near you, please contact Acer Support:https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
  • marknohr

Tinkerer

I sent a request for support. Unfortunately the form is asking for a SNID and such a number is not on the serial number label as is shown on the help information. 
  • marknohr

Tinkerer

How do I gain access to the system? If I plug a USB-C to HDMI adapter in, will I be able to use an external monitor? I'm sure sending it in for repair will mean they will erase the hard drive. 
  • marknohr said:
    How do I gain access to the system? If I plug a USB-C to HDMI adapter in, will I be able to use an external monitor? I'm sure sending it in for repair will mean they will erase the hard drive. 
    Hi,
    Yes, I think you can, please read the post by @Parappa in this link:https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/442317/switch-alpha-12-external-monitor

• marknohr

Tinkerer

New information !
    As it turns out the machine boots with the normal graphics. Then once my user (wife) logs in the screen does this. As if going to this other resolution doesn't work. Feels driverish now.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Yep, or a corrupted user profile. Can you log in as another user?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • marknohr

Tinkerer

This was a false positive. Sometimes the screen has faint vertical lines and sometimes its as extreme as the picture I shared. It seems it always eventually crashes. As it turns out there were some windows updates done and an acceptance to trial office the day before this appeared.  Any thoughts would be helpful. I have not heard anything from Acer support after opening a issue yesterday. 
  • billsey
    Boot to BIOS and let it run for long enough to see if the issue shows there. If you can replicate in the BIOS then it's not a Windows issue. If the BIOS runs clean then boot and create a new user, log off and then back on as the new user. If that shows problems we're going to look at video drivers, if it's clean then at apps running on the main user and profile settings. Sometimes when a profile gets corrupted it's easiest to just wipe and recreate, backing up data first...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • marknohr

Tinkerer

edited November 2018
    Ok. I does boot to the Bios and there was a slight flickering in one of the banded regions but after an hour the flickering has subsided. While creating the new account the screen went black and there are a few faint vertical lines. It's worth noting that I've seen the number of the thin vertical lines change  increase while in the mostly black state.
  • marknohr

Tinkerer

Hmmm. I went to update the display driver. Something fishy here

Downloaded the latest from Acer 20.19.15.4454 but the intel driver support tool shows the driver version installed is 22.20.16.4691.

That said there is a note in the Intel Driver Support Assistant saying "A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Support Assistant is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer"

So that means use the one from Acer. I downloaded it and started to install it when I get the popup window telling me that I'm attempting to install an older driver. I cancel and am posting here.

• billsey
    Do either an uninstall of the driver you have now or a rollback. Once it's uninstalled you should be able to install the correct one.
  • marknohr

Tinkerer

hmmm. so you are thinking the "correct one" driver is what I'm being told is an older driver? 

A new mystery. I managed to create a new user account, booting and logging into that account, and it ran with a clean screen for several hours. I then logged into the original/admin account (without rebooting). I've had a clean -vertical line free- screen for 24hrs and have since rebooted several times logging only into the original/admin account. The lines have not shown up since. 

The question is now 
    Hardware: bad connection or flaky solder joint?
    Software: somehow adding another account resolved the issue with the admin account? 
    :|

I'm guessing hardware and the problem will appear again at some random time but would like someone knowledgeable with windows tablets of this vintage to confirm this. 

I've unfortunately found the replacement screen is only available as a front panel assembly to the tune of $450.00!!!!

• billsey
    Very unlikely to be a solder problem but it's not too unusual to see the occasional ribbon cable not completely seating, usually because someone has had it opened up (not that easy to do on a SA12). I'm guessing it was still a driver issue and either the corrupted drivers were redone as part of the new account first login or an update happened overnight that fixed to problem driver. Make sure you come back and let us know if it stays stable or funks up again. :)
  • marknohr

Tinkerer

The saga continues. at this point there is no way to use the tablet . Now, upon booting, the screen displays the ACER name and then transitions to horizontal garbage and then goes dark with the faint vertical lines appearing and increasing as I originally described. The bright side is that I installed teamviewer yesterday and remote desktopping in is stable. I reinstalled the driver I downloaded from ACER (see image or installation progress). Also check the boot catastrophe image below. 
  • billsey
    Yeah, that display is ... less than optimal. :) There's no second display port, other than the USB-C, so connecting a second display can't be used to determine if it's in the display or in the GPU. Same thing with Teamviewer, you're seeing what the OS thinks should be on the display without going through the GPU. My SA12 says it's running a HD Graphics 520 with driver version 22.20.16.4691, so a newer driver than yours. I'm guessing mine came from Windows Update since I don't remember going the 'download from Intel' route on it at any time. I just ran Intel's support package and they say my current versions is the best, even though they are up to v25 on their site. Try a Windows update to see if the v22 is offered.
  • marknohr

Tinkerer

I Just saw the faint lines during the ACER logo display at bootup. 
    A driver customized for this specific display seems plausible.
    Windows update says things are all up to date. 
    There is a Version: 25.20.100.6373 on intels web site

I haven't disassembled this thing yet and would prefer not to. 

One other thing is I was wondering if there is a factory re-install partition like is typical with computers these days. Taking it back to zero is an option not that I have all the data off of it.

I gotta say, Acer just not supporting this pretty clear problem is not encouraging me to buy their products again. The message I'm getting is, once the warranty is up, No support at all. That makes these devices really expensive. 

• marknohr

Tinkerer

edited November 2018
    Looks like there may be a way of doing this but I'm wondering if there will be questions requiring a user interface to complete (since re-installing will trash my teamviewer session). Really not looking to brick it at this point.
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46582/~/reset-acer-switch-alpha-12-(sa5-271)

Also I should backtrack a bit on my grousing about no support comment to be clear I'm referencing availability of ACER endorsed support rather than relying on users. The insights provided by the users on this forum have really helped and are much appreciated. 

• billsey
    Actually Acer has a repair service for these types of issues, though for many it's not cost effective since it's often more than a local tech would charge. On the other hand I believe they have a better warranty on repairs than a local tech typically provides.

If you fire up Disk Management you'll be able to see if the recovery partition has an image on it or just the recovery software. If it's got the image you'll have a partition that's close to 10GB in size. If it's just the recovery software it'll be more like 500MB. They started shipping most models with that latter in the last few years, requiring the user to create recovery media during the initial setup process. Needless to say most users don't do that and just order the recovery media from Acer if they ever need it. ($50 or so from the Acer store IIRC).

I'm thinking less and less that you have a driver problem and more like it's hardware. I did a search of my downloads and don't see an archive for my version, so it was most likely an update that I didn't do manually. It wouldn't hurt to try the Intel version, at least it shouldn't hurt more than you are already hurt...
  • marknohr

Tinkerer

Acer did refer to a service that would replace the screen for $450 (on a $600 machine), they don't sell just the screen. Also the replacement part was not available when I called. This would also entail wiping the hard drive as standard process which wasn't a preferred option when I called and had not gained access to the user data. This assumes the screen hardware is the issue. 
    While here is still unreliable access to the machine I'm letting it simmer for a few weeks in case there is some other critical piece of information left on it like a web link or... 

I dont see many people complaining about this problem so its probably a production quality issue. Next steps will be
    a pull-apart investigation and re-assembly
    Factory reload (assuming there is a hidden partition)
    find another dead one for the spare parts or buy a screen elsewhere.