Problems installing win 10 on Acer nitro 5 with optane memory and uefi

Ionim
Ionim Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
I recently try to instal a new copy of win 10 on Acer nitro 5 uefi and optane memory , I have made the usb with Rufus ( partition scheme gpt like the hard - target system uefi non CSM in NTFS because windows has 3,8 gb 

I activated the f12 boot
Menu I load the usb , the new windows installation it's prompting on the screen , but i cant use my mouse pad , not functionable , even so I manage to go thru with tab , but when I arrive and new copy of Windows Trying to format my hard , I'd does not show to my any hard there , please help , my win 10 that famed with the laptop it's freezing 10-14 Min to boot and 25-28 Min.to shut down , i became cert angry 

Answers

• Ionim

Tinkerer

I also checked the BIOS and try to change from uefi to legacy , but I only have uefi , and I can only select one device to boot , if I select the usb to boot , I don't have access to the HDD , and if I access the HDD to boot , it's boring in to the shity windows that I have ( cracked ) 
  • Sreyas
    Sreyas Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

I had the same problem with the Windows Installation on my Acer Nitro 5 with Optane Memory. My model was AN515-52. Don't worry, there is an easy fix to this. This is what I did and maybe it will help you. Skip to the 3rd paragraph for the solution that would work.

Now during the installation time, my track-pad also didn't work. I had to use an external mouse. Now I had the same problem of not spotting my hard-disk in the Windows Setup. I initially had my Windows installed by my teacher at the college because he wouldn't let me install and sit in-front of my laptop and not let me do the work. So my HDD was not showing up in the Windows setup and also in the BIOS. Then he made the USB again and then when it was ran again, the Windows setup, my HDD along with the OPTANE (13GB unallocated) was being shown in the Setup. Now prior to making the USB again, I had disabled the OPTANE (I''ll tell you how I did that in the next paragraph) and that was showing there. Now after I installed the windows and then enabled the OPTANE and booted to windows and I got BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death). BSOD is just a situation where windows would run into an issue and would do a restart. Now at this moment, disabling the OPTANE would result in no BSOD and enabling it would cause BSOD while the boot. Now this all BSOD problem occured because I left my OPTANE disabled at the time of the Windows installation. BTW, I had DPI issues in the setup with an older windows 10 setup.

Firstly, make a live USB of Windows 10. I would suggest you to download the ISO again using media creation tool and then proceed. Even if you have a USB ready, download and make it again. Now don't worry for the settings in the RUFUS, leave it to the default settings that it chose for you. I would suggest you to pick up a latest version of Windows 10, maybe 1803 or 1809. Now try the Windows Setup. If you can't see your HDD, then follow these instructions. Go to BIOS and under "Main" tab, and look at the label "SATA Mode". I assume the default mode would be selected as "RST with Optane." Now change it to "AHCI". Now go to 'Security' tab and set a system password. If you don't set a password, secure boot cannot be disabled. Go to "Boot" tab and Disable the Secure Boot option. Now reboot to Windows Setup. Now you would see your HDD along with a 13.xxGB unallocated Partition. This is your Optane Memory. Now after you got your HDD and OPTANE, cancel the setup and go to your BIOS again. Go to the "Main" tab and then change the "SATA Mode" from "AHCI" to "RST with Optane". Now don't change the secure boot option. The "SATA Mode" should be in "RST with Optane". Now reboot to the Windows Setup and you would see that the 13.xx GB unallocated partition would disappear. Now it is important for the 13.xx GB partition to disappear and the HDD to be appeared, if the 13.xx GB partition is there, then that means that the Optane is not enabled. Anyways, if things don't go as I said, then repeat this process or you can continue with the windows installation if everything is as I said.

If you still have any problems, then let me know, I'll be happy to help you out.
  • Ionim

Tinkerer

yes , you're answer was very helpful, I set up password on bios how you write , and disable secure boot, after that remade the partition , but the optane memory did not disappear, how ever after I finish installing windows I downloaded intel optane driver , and bound the optane memory to the primary C: and workd just fine  thank you for you're help 
  • paritosh
    paritosh Member Posts: 2 New User
    Sreyas said:
    I had the same problem with the Windows Installation on my Acer Nitro 5 with Optane Memory. My model was AN515-52. Don't worry, there is an easy fix to this. This is what I did and maybe it will help you. Skip to the 3rd paragraph for the solution that would work.

Now during the installation time, my track-pad also didn't work. I had to use an external mouse. Now I had the same problem of not spotting my hard-disk in the Windows Setup. I initially had my Windows installed by my teacher at the college because he wouldn't let me install and sit in-front of my laptop and not let me do the work. So my HDD was not showing up in the Windows setup and also in the BIOS. Then he made the USB again and then when it was ran again, the Windows setup, my HDD along with the OPTANE (13GB unallocated) was being shown in the Setup. Now prior to making the USB again, I had disabled the OPTANE (I''ll tell you how I did that in the next paragraph) and that was showing there. Now after I installed the windows and then enabled the OPTANE and booted to windows and I got BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death). BSOD is just a situation where windows would run into an issue and would do a restart. Now at this moment, disabling the OPTANE would result in no BSOD and enabling it would cause BSOD while the boot. Now this all BSOD problem occured because I left my OPTANE disabled at the time of the Windows installation. BTW, I had DPI issues in the setup with an older windows 10 setup.

Firstly, make a live USB of Windows 10. I would suggest you to download the ISO again using media creation tool and then proceed. Even if you have a USB ready, download and make it again. Now don't worry for the settings in the RUFUS, leave it to the default settings that it chose for you. I would suggest you to pick up a latest version of Windows 10, maybe 1803 or 1809. Now try the Windows Setup. If you can't see your HDD, then follow these instructions. Go to BIOS and under "Main" tab, and look at the label "SATA Mode". I assume the default mode would be selected as "RST with Optane." Now change it to "AHCI". Now go to 'Security' tab and set a system password. If you don't set a password, secure boot cannot be disabled. Go to "Boot" tab and Disable the Secure Boot option. Now reboot to Windows Setup. Now you would see your HDD along with a 13.xxGB unallocated Partition. This is your Optane Memory. Now after you got your HDD and OPTANE, cancel the setup and go to your BIOS again. Go to the "Main" tab and then change the "SATA Mode" from "AHCI" to "RST with Optane". Now don't change the secure boot option. The "SATA Mode" should be in "RST with Optane". Now reboot to the Windows Setup and you would see that the 13.xx GB unallocated partition would disappear. Now it is important for the 13.xx GB partition to disappear and the HDD to be appeared, if the 13.xx GB partition is there, then that means that the Optane is not enabled. Anyways, if things don't go as I said, then repeat this process or you can continue with the windows installation if everything is as I said.

If you still have any problems, then let me know, I'll be happy to help you out.
    I am also having the exact Same problem I sent my acer nitro-5 to the authorised service centre due to an faulty update for the intel optane memory and when i sent it in the bios in sata mode was set to rst with optane but when it returned it was set to ahci and also the optane was not working properly when i again change sata mode in bios to rst with optane it shows your pc ran into an error we try to restart it and keeps on showing it.In ahci mode it is working correctly.Is there any other way to enable proper functioning of optane without re-installing windows if anyone has the solution please help me out i need it urgently and if re-installing windows is the only option please can you describe it briefly.
  • Ionim

Tinkerer

folow the steps of Sreyas and you will do it ... i do the same steps and everithing its working perfect for the last month 
  • paritosh
    paritosh Member Posts: 2 New User
    Ionim said:
    folow the steps of Sreyas and you will do it ... i do the same steps and everithing its working perfect for the last month 
    but the optane memory keeps on showing all time during the installation and never disappears
  • Ionim

Tinkerer

yes , after that download the intel optane driver from intel and install and bound them togeter :) easy as pie ... follow all the instructiones of sreyas and my answers from above and you will do it 
  • AeonIX
    AeonIX Member Posts: 5 New User
    Sreyas said:

I have the same problem. I changed RST with Optane to AHCI because I couldn't see any disks. But even after I did like this post said, still it doesn't show any disks. They only show up when it's in AHCI mode.
  • killua23
    killua23 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Sreyas said:

thank you. it worked. i have been searching different types of complex solutions for this problem and your solution fixed with simple steps.
  • killua23
    killua23 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

AeonIX said:
    Sreyas said:

I have the same problem. I changed RST with Optane to AHCI because I couldn't see any disks. But even after I did like this post said, still it doesn't show any disks. They only show up when it's in AHCI mode.
    try installing windows windows AHCI mode and after installing disable secure boot and change AHCI to RST with optane. It worked for me.
  • awermuller
    awermuller Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited March 2020
    Hi everyone,

I battled with this for two days, and I think instruction here maybe are not so clear. What you have to do is leave the SATA mode set to "RST with optane", which will cause the problem of no seeing any drives listed when trying to install Windows.

To solve that problem, you just need to download the RST driver from intel page, and copy it to your Windows installation media (it doesn't matter where). Then proceed to install Windows and when it asks you about the drive you wish to install, select Load Driver and browse to the location where you put the driver. It will take a few moments to install the driver, and then it will show you the HDD partitions only (and not the 13GB optane).

From there proceed normally, as with any regular PC.

Hope this helps.

Edit: the driver you need to save in the installation media can be downloaded from here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29350/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-Floppy-Driver-Package?product=99745