BIOS update / latest BIOS for Extensa 5420

Options
CuRst71
CuRst71 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
If the following question has been previously posted, my apologies. I looked around on the site and archives but couldn't find anything.  I'm trying to find the latest bios that will support my old Extensa 5420.  I have BIOS V1.17.  I've recently had some issue with my motherboard.  It all of a sudden stopped recognizing one of the memory slots.  It will only work with memory in a single slot.  Either stick of RAM works, but only in one slot, not both, nor will it work in the second slot exclusively, only the first. I've tried cleaning the RAM slot, removing the CMOS,  holding the power button for 30 sec with all electrical supplies removed.  I was hoping that reflashing the BIOS may help.  There are lots of BIOS updates for various laptops, but I'm out of luck finding the update for mine.  At this point, it seems to be turning into more of a challenge than anything for me.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I believe you already have the latest version of bios! The travelmate 5520 model has the same hardware as your notebook and the latest version is 1.17:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/pt/BR/content/support-product/816?b=1 and https://elektrotanya.com/acer_travelmate_5220_5520_7520_7520g_extensa_5120_5420_wistron_pomona_texcoco_rev_-1_sch.pdf/download.html
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,549 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>> It all of a sudden stopped recognizing one of the memory slots.  >>>

This suggests the CMOS button battery needs to be replaced. They're only good for 8-10 years, not really rechargeable. To check it out, try to enter the BIOS menu to see if the other module is detected. If yes, F10 to save settings and exit. It should remember the module till the machine is shut off for a few hours. Then on cold booting the BIOS chip will have lost it's memory again because the old CMOS battery can't keep it charged. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ