SF314-54G replacing SSD

jspink
jspink Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have a SF314-54G-87XS which came with 128Gb SSD (boot disk) and 1Tb hard disk. The 128Gb SSD is too small for my needs so I'd like to replace it with a larger capacity device.
I have seen a WD Blue 1Tb M.2 2280 SSD at a reasonable price and wondered if it would fit in place of my existing drive. Has anyone tried this capacity or any advice on the best way to go?

Cheers,
John

Answers

• IVAN_PC
    IVAN_PC ACE Posts: 7,495 Pathfinder
    Hi.

Your equipment accepts PCie and sata units, like the one you want to install, here it is detailed, according to the service manual.

Solid state drive
    512 GB, PCIe Gen3, 8 Gb / s up to 4 lanes, NVMe
    256 GB, PCIe Gen3, 8 Gb / s up to 4 lanes, NVMe
    128/256/512 GB, SATA 6 Gb / s 16GB, PCIe Gen3, 8 Gb / s up to 2
    lanes, NVMe, supporting Intel Optane TM Memory

Regards.

☑️ 𝑺𝒊 𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂 𝒆𝒔 "𝒍𝒂 𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒑𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂", 𝒉𝒂𝒛 𝒄𝒍𝒊𝒄 𝒆𝒏 "𝑨𝒄𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒂𝒓 𝒍𝒂 𝒔𝒐𝒍𝒖𝒄𝒊ó𝒏" 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒂 𝒂𝒚𝒖𝒅𝒂𝒓 𝒂 𝒐𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒔 𝒂 𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒂.
    ☑️ 𝑬𝒍 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒐 𝑨𝑪𝑬𝑹 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚 𝒕𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒆 𝒖𝒏 𝒂𝒎𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆 𝒂𝒈𝒓𝒂𝒅𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒍 𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒔 𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒅𝒐.
  • jspink
    edited November 2018
    Thanks for your quick response Ivan, but I'm a bit confused by the terminology.
    Are you saying that I cannot fit a 1Tb drive? Also I don't know what 4 lanes NVME means. Is this the same as M.2 drive?
    Is the service manual available as a download?
  • jspink
    This is an image of what is installed in my laptop. From a lot of Googling, based on the two notches it looks to me like an M.2 SATA SSD - am I correct or not?
    Now, also from a lot of Googling, I think the PCIe NVMe type of SSD only has one notch (I think it is referred to as type 'M'), so the question is, would I be able to fit the PCIe type in this slot?

• IVAN_PC
    IVAN_PC ACE Posts: 7,495 Pathfinder

The data is taken from the service manual, its download is not available.

Let's say that the sockets with key M are for PCIe and the B and M are for SATA 3, although some may be confusing at times, because there is also Pcie B and M brand Kingston, on older computers.

The manual recommends, units of this capacity, the capacity is usually not a compatibility problem, you could place one of 1TB, in cases that you can see a certain incompatibility, it would be by placing it in a dual way or by the bios.But I think it is not Their case.

Regards.

☑️ 𝑺𝒊 𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂 𝒆𝒔 "𝒍𝒂 𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒑𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂", 𝒉𝒂𝒛 𝒄𝒍𝒊𝒄 𝒆𝒏 "𝑨𝒄𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒂𝒓 𝒍𝒂 𝒔𝒐𝒍𝒖𝒄𝒊ó𝒏" 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒂 𝒂𝒚𝒖𝒅𝒂𝒓 𝒂 𝒐𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒔 𝒂 𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒂.
    ☑️ 𝑬𝒍 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒐 𝑨𝑪𝑬𝑹 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚 𝒕𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒆 𝒖𝒏 𝒂𝒎𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆 𝒂𝒈𝒓𝒂𝒅𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒍 𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒔 𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒅𝒐.
  • jspink
    Sorry Ivan, this still doesn't give me a straight answer to my question  :/
    All I would like to know is, can I put a PCIe type SSD into this slot and will the BIOS recognise it?
    This is the one I have in mind .. WD 500GB Black NVMe M.2 2280-S3-M PCIe Gen3 SSD
    https://www.ebuyer.com/834851-wd-500gb-black-nvme-m-2-2280-s3-m-pcie-gen3-ssd-wds500g2x0c
  • ydhnt
    ydhnt Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

is your acer type similar to SF314 54G 51WS? i need some information too