Acer preditor 34x flickers at 120hz

jagr
jagr Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 14 in 2018 Archives
Hey all.. 
I recently picked up an Acer Preditor 34x and love this monitor.  It was working beautifully about the last month or so until today.  Now I've noticed when using display port + cable monitor came with that the monitor will flicker when I set over clock to max refresh of 120Hz.  It was not doing this before, I have changed nothing.  The flickering behavior would not stop so I factory reset the monitor and then everything was fine again, but I noticed that refresh went to 100Hz.  I kicked back up to 120Hz again and noticed same behavior.  It seems the refresh is what causes this.  I've been in Nvidia control panel and toggled GSYNC on and off and it doesn't change behavior, I've applied settings and watched NVIDIA control panel set refresh rate to 100, 120 whenever I make adjustments, and that part is working.  It seems only when over clock is at 120Hz does this happen? 

What was even weirder was I noticed the flickering on the "predator" main screen during the reboot as well, implying that the flickering wasn't the video signal from my PC, but something on the monitor itself?  

Not sure what is causing the flickering behavior when I am 120Hz?  The behavior seems intermittent as well... As I was typing this it seems to have stopped?

Would love your thoughts/help

Answers

• thamahes2018
    thamahes2018 Member Posts: 174 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Hi jagr, I checked the specification and found that standard refresh rate for your monitor is 100 HZ with the DP cable. I just need to ask whether did you with the lower refresh rate.
  • jagr
    edited November 2018
    Thanks for the help thamahes2018 -
    So the standard refresh is 100, but the overclock is 120?  Does this mean that I should expect flicker on 120?  Why for the first few weeks did the monitor not flicker when overclocked, and now it does.  When I lower the refresh rate to 100 it seems to be stable, but then what is the point?  I bought this as a 120mhz refresh rate gaming monitor.  It seems broken to me that it worked at 120 overclock with no problems for a few weeks  - but now it doesn't?

I'm trying to figure out if I need to return the monitor or not.
  • jagr
    Would love some follow up on if flickering is expected when I adjust the monitor in the on screen menu of monitor to overclock to 120...