Second time I need help with this - My battery won't charge when playing demanding games.

Jerr
Jerr Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Laptop: Acer Predator Helios 500 with Intel i7-8750

As title says, when playing demanding games like Battlefield 1, Path of Exile, etc, my battery drains even though it's plugged in and charging. 
If my battery is charged to say ~80%, it will last about an hour before falling to ~30% during heavy gameplay, and thus my PC gets throttled due to being below 40% and all games
become completely and utterly unplayable. I really need a solution for this, I can't believe I have an issue like this for such an expensive piece of equipment..

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    You probably need the 330-watt charger. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Jerr said:

As title says, when playing demanding games like Battlefield 1, Path of Exile, etc, my battery drains even though it's plugged in and charging. 
    If my battery is charged to say ~80%, it will last about an hour before falling to ~30% during heavy gameplay, and thus my PC gets throttled due to being below 40% and all games
    become completely and utterly unplayable. I really need a solution for this, I can't believe I have an issue like this for such an expensive piece of equipment..
    This issue has been explained under many threads - this is called hybrid power utilization - pulling power from both charger and battery. Try to get a 180 watt charger (in place of oyur current 130) and you should be good. There would still be pull from battery at times, but not so much.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Keicchan
    Keicchan Member Posts: 48 Devotee WiFi Icon
    dunno if the plug it's compatible but maybe u can try the triton 700 1080 ac adapter that is 230w
  • sri369
    Keicchan said:
    dunno if the plug it's compatible but maybe u can try the triton 700 1080 ac adapter that is 230w
    Don't do that! Predator is set to accept 130 or 180 watts being delivered max. Unless you want to risk damaging equipment, I wouldn't recommend going beyond 180W.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • JackE
    >>>Helios 500 with Intel i7-8750>>>

@sri369 It's a Helios 500, not a 300.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sri369
    JackE said:
    >>>Helios 500 with Intel i7-8750>>>

@sri369 It's a Helios 500, not a 300.  Jack E/NJ

Small "oops"
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Jerr

Tinkerer

sri369 said:
    Jerr said:

This issue has been explained under many threads - this is called hybrid power utilization - pulling power from both charger and battery. Try to get a 180 watt charger (in place of oyur current 130) and you should be good. There would still be pull from battery at times, but not so much.
    Okay! Will try and see if I can find one somewhere, if you know somewhere that has them readily available for purchase it'd be a huge help!
  • JackE
    @Jerr For the PH517-51 model you can get up to a 330 watt supply. Just google the part nos below for a vendor/seller. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sri369
    edited November 2018
    Jerr said:
    Okay! Will try and see if I can find one somewhere, if you know somewhere that has them readily available for purchase it'd be a huge help!
    ---deleted--- Jack answered.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • sri369
    JackE said:
    @Jerr For the PH517-51 model you can get up to a 330 watt supply. Just google the part nos below for a vendor/seller. Jack E/NJ

@Jerr Go with 230, that should suffice.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Jerr

Tinkerer

sri369 said:
    JackE said:

@Jerr Go with 230, that should suffice.
    Found a 330w, checked my current and it was 230w, so the extra 100w should be a huge boost! Thank you so much!