Subtle brightness flickering on XB281HK

Dhyzon
Dhyzon Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 14 in 2020 Archives
Hello everybody.

I just recently got an Acer Predator XB281HK and while I really like the monitor very much, it has a very annoying issue. What is happening is that whenever shades of grey are displayed on screen there is a very subtle and very fast brightness flickering going on. All other colors seem to be fine so it's a very specific issue. This is very visible when overdrive is set to Extreme and applications that have interfaces with shades of grey are used (e.g. Photoshop, Adobe Premiere etc.). Also this issue might not be visible to people with not so sensible eye sight.

The issue can be mitigated by setting overdrive to OFF but the problem is definitely still there. Turning off Gsync doesn't help, the issue is still there so I believe it's a problem of the panel itself and not of the Gsync module.

Needless to say that I tried basically everything to sort this out (change cables, reinstall drivers, change refresh rate, change settings in Nvidia control panel etc) but nothing helped.

Just checking if anybody else had the same problem and if technical support can fix the issue by replacing the panel or updating the firmware.

The monitor is basically unusable for me as it's causing headaches due to this constant change in brightness of grey colors.

Answers

• BillyHanke
    BillyHanke Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello! I have the exact same issue!  I purchased my monitor XB281HK MAY of 2019 and the issue started to show itself in April of 2020 so I did get some really good use out of the monitor prior to the flickering. But I notice right on my desktop when I click the screen or click an app etc my entire screen will very subtly flicker and seems a bit wavy. Its doesn't blur the image or create any colorful artifacts... its just this weird subtle flicker... I thought the lights in my room were flickering at first but its definitely the monitor.  I turned off G-sync and it didn't help at all..  I turned off OD and it seems to have gotten better... for now...  
  • Zwut
    Zwut Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi, I have the exact model and issue. Luckily I only bought mine a couple of month ago so going to contact support!.