Why does my DVD tray keep opening?

Options
RozeMoon
RozeMoon Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 15 in 2018 Archives
I have an Acer Predator G3-710 I keep my drivers, OS and all that updated. I have Win10 and the DVD drive still works perfectly (can watch movies, run programs, always registers and good disks put in, etc.). The computer as a whole I need a new keyboard (unrelated issue, and if anyone knows where I could but a new one I'd appreciate that too but it is secondary). The only issue is that for the last few weeks the DVD tray just randomly opens with or without a disk. I'm trying to see if anyone knows how to fix this. It's seriously annoying to have it opening every couple of hours. 

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    Try pushing the eject button while slowly opening, push in he tray gently after releasing the eject button, it could be a hardware problem or some virus infection, to find out whether it caused by virus infection, open BIOS screen and watch if the tray still opens by itself.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    I'd lean more toward problems with the button, perhaps some type of contaminant shorting the button contacts? The tray can open under software control though I've never seen a virus that would cause that symptom. If you've done a full scan you might try SFC to see if any of the drivers are corrupted.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • RozeMoon
    Options
    Hi,
    Try pushing the eject button while slowly opening, push in he tray gently after releasing the eject button, it could be a hardware problem or some virus infection, to find out whether it caused by virus infection, open BIOS screen and watch if the tray still opens by itself.
    Pressing the eject button opens the tray, gently pressing the tray closes the tray. No matter how many times I push the button it will open and close the same way. And since it does this randomly I cant "trigger" it so to watch for it I'd basically just have to stare at the BIOS for hours waiting for it to act up. So I think I'll just check next time lol, I know my file explorer shows when it opens. Which it does when I open it or when it auto opens.
  • RozeMoon
    Options
    billsey said:
    I'd lean more toward problems with the button, perhaps some type of contaminant shorting the button contacts? The tray can open under software control though I've never seen a virus that would cause that symptom. If you've done a full scan you might try SFC to see if any of the drivers are corrupted.
    Nothing bumps the button though, I've had the issue with it doing this with the faceplate closed AND open. Everything is clean, dray, and has no damage. Virus and corruption were the first things I thought of and ruled them out via rigorous health checks. Not so much as a an achy throat on this thing.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    I wonder if one of your apps is cycling through the drive letters, caching the directory lists. If there were no disc in the drive it'd open so you could insert one. Try this, put an innocuous disk in the drive and see if the symptom goes away. If it does then we'll brainstorm to try and come up with what's causing it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.