Aspire XC 885 - front cover

mg098
mg098 Member Posts: 3 New User
Is there a how-to on removing the front cover? I want to get to the m.2 SSD socket to put in my Samsung EVO stick.
Thanks for any help.
Mark

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    mg098 said:
    Is there a how-to on removing the front cover? I want to get to the m.2 SSD socket to put in my Samsung EVO stick.
    Thanks for any help.
    Mark

Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • jrm
    jrm Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

First, you may want to check your BIOS.  The M.2 shows as NVMe Port1 when nothing is plugged in the M.2 connector.  I installed a NVMe PCIe Gen 3 x4 SSD and it then showed up in BIOS for that port and works great.  If you are planning to install a regular SATA SSD M.2 it may not be "backwards" compatible to support that type of SSD.  I'm not sure.

To install the new card I removed the support bracket with the HDD as well.  The front plastic cover is held by 4 flexible tabs, two on each side, that grab onto the metal frame.  When you release the cover the small cover on the DVD will fall off.  It's not a problem as it snaps back in place after you re-install the front cover.  Once the front cover is off, you can remove three screws and slide the DVD out of the way to provide access to the M.2 socket.

This is all assuming your XC 885 is similar to my TC 885G.

Jim
  • emveepee
    emveepee Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

I removed the HD caddy and the DVD bezel bezel before taking off the cover.  I didn't want to break any tabs on the bezel.  However mine was also an nvme on a TC 885.  I did have to update to r01 b03 bios for acpi support. The new BIOS b04 doesn't work well for me and I have another post on this trying to figure out what was changed.

Martin
  • mg098
    Thanks everyone. I think the xc 885 is different to the tc 885 as I cannot get to the screws holding the hdd and dvd without removing the front panel. 
    Bit concerned a m.2 sata ssd may not be compatible as I tried to research that first before purchasing.
    Thanks again -particularly for the photos.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Yes, the XC is different than the TC. You have to remove the optical drive before removing the front bezel. There's a single screw holding the ODD in as shown here:
    Once that's gone and the cables disconnected you can push it out through the front. Then you can use those three plastic latches to release the front bezel. Next remove the drive bay and I think that will give access to the M.2 slot.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mg098
    Thanks again everyone.
    I basically removed the DVD as billsey showed and removed the HDD/DVD enclosure. The DVD was stopping the front cover being removed. Seems odd to have the m.2 slot you would most want to get to under the enclosure rather than the wireless card.....
    The Samsung SATA m.2 card works fine in the slot - doesn't have to be nvme.
    I couldnt get the cloned drive to boot though having disconnected the HDD. Having activated windows 10 from the HDD I reinstalled direct to the m.2 SSD and went from there. Worked out better I think as I ended up with a clean win 10 install.
    What with the 16gb RAM this is well fast enough for me. 
    Great value.
    Thanks for everyones help.
    Mark
  • beachmat
    beachmat Member Posts: 6 New User
    Just wondering if the thermal pad is necessary?
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @beachmat

How about start your own thread by clicking the "Ask a Question" green button at the top after sign-in?
    Your question is different from the person who started this thread.
  • beachmat
    beachmat Member Posts: 6 New User
    Well, I thought that since I was asking for clarification on part of the answer to the original question, it was not a new question.