Help! Need info and advice please on (2) Acer possible purchases

Twins2Love
Twins2Love Member Posts: 3 New User
edited April 19 in 2018 Archives
Hi all - I have been researching to purchase a new laptop.  I am a bit confused about what would be best to get and would like to really decide today.  I was advised to get a computer with more RAM and no SSD, or more RAM and only SSD.  I have found another 2 last night and now need advice on which is best if any or suggestion to another.  All this research and back and forth is driving me insane.
1. ACER A515-51-84PS Aspire 5 15.6 i7, 12GB, 1TB + 128GB Windows 10
2. ACER 15.5 Intel Core i5 - 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti - 256 SSD

Is there really much difference bettween i7 and i5?  WHICH ONE OF THE COMPUTERS AND WHY?
** I have read reviews on Amazon (not where I'm getting the laptop) on #2 and they were not good.  Fake reviews, not sure.  But at least 4 ppl said the this computer is really NOT a 16GB and only an 8GB and can be UPGRADED to 16.  Hard for me to believe specs say it's a 16GB and only is really and 8GB???  

MY COMPUTER USE:  I work from home and from my office.  I use a One Drive for those files.  I have photoshop and lightroom on my computer and alot of my work consists of photography and editting.  Current computer is several years old.  It freezes up alot with multiple tasks especially with PS and since I added it to my computer.
I want a computer that doesn't take forever to do things like this when working on PS and RAW file photos (photography in general) and want something that does what I ask it to do without taking it's sweet time and me having to wait for it to think and then freeze and not respond.  Other than this, I use Microsoft Office for general emails and documents.  That's it.

I have also recently purchased a 2TB external HD.

Any help and advice greatly appreciated!
THANK YOU!

Comments

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Twins2Love 

All i5 processors are Quad Core and hence have 4 physical cores serving 4 threads. All i7 processors also are Quad Core but they are equipped with Hyperthreading technology which enables each core to serve 2 threads, hence the OS sees it as an Octa Core Processor rather than a Quad Core Processor.

In addition to generally faster base clock speeds, Core i7 processors have larger cache (on-board memory) to help the processor deal with repetitive tasks faster.

Most i5 CPUs have up to 9MB of L3 cache, while most i7 processors have up to 12MB. Both Core i5 and Core i7 processors use Turbo Boost, with Core i7 processors achieving higher clock speeds.

RAM adds more multi-tasking and SSD loads everything faster. IFor a good performance at least 4 or 8 GB of ram is very important and then tou should have a SSD to enhance your performance and change the path of window OS to SSS. That's it.

For photography if it was me I would go with the i7, SSD and 16gb RAM if you can stretch that far! The RAM on the laptop is user upgradable, so I could install an extra stick to bring it up to 16GB.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Twins2Love
    Thank you.  It was just as I thought.  I purchased an 8GB, i5 8th Gen, 256 SSD + 1TB including a GForce MX 1050.  I hadn't picked it up yet and wondered if I made a mistake in the purchase but see it has everything I need EXCEPT would prefer a 16GB min rather than 8.  If I may, 1 more question, how much would it be to upgrade this one to 16GB and how labor intensive is it to do so? or would it be in my benefit to find the similar specs of this only with 16+ already installed?  Thank you.
  • Twins2Love
    Update:  I have decided to cancel the 8GB previously ordered.  I have 2 new specs now.  I would like to choose between the 2 since they are very comparable in specs, only difference being the name brand and $50.  Both got pretty good ratings and reviews.  If anyone would like to give me their opinion I'd very much appreciate it. It isn't ACER but.....(hope ques still allowed).
    -ASUS VivoBook Intel Core i7-8550, 8th Gen, 16GB, NVIDIA geForce GTX 1050- 1TB HD + 256GB SSD Model: K570UDES76 $1050.
    -DELL G5587-7835BLK-PUS i7-8750 w/turbo boost 8th Gen, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 4GB GDDR5, 1TB HD + 256GB SSD
    Model G5587-7835BLK-PUS $999
    Better brand? Better band for your buck all in all?  Better longer term?
    Thanks in advance.