Acer Swift 3 - Fingerprint Sensor compatibility in Linux (Fedora 28 Workstation)

NicoSoler
NicoSoler Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello everyone,
I've installed Fedora 28 on my Swift 3 (SF314-52-527W - i5 7200u - 8GB RAM - 256GB Micron SSD), and I've found that the fingerprint reader (which I used when the laptop ran Windows 10) doesn't work with Linux. Apparently there doesn't seem to be a driver for Linux.

The fingerprint reader is an EgisTec fingerprint sensor (VID:PID 1c7a:0570), is there any driver available for it? Does anyone know the company and if they've got a linux driver for it?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    You can call the US office or send an email via this weblink https://www.egistec.com/about-us/ but it's doubtful they can help much.  You might best join a fedora community in your region and ask if this distro has yet to develop support for this sensor https://fedoracommunity.org/latam . At present the Chilean site seems to be down.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NicoSoler
    NicoSoler Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi!
    Thank you very much, I have contacted Egistec about this, and I'll wait for their answer.

I have searched about a driver for this device for a while now, and AFAIK there isn't a FOSS driver for it.

I know my way around C/C++, so I'll see what I can do in the event that there isn't any.
  • ajm
    ajm Member Posts: 24 Networker
    NicoSoler said:
    Hi!
    Thank you very much, I have contacted Egistec about this, and I'll wait for their answer.

I have searched about a driver for this device for a while now, and AFAIK there isn't a FOSS driver for it.

I know my way around C/C++, so I'll see what I can do in the event that there isn't any.
    Hi mate, did you get anything back about this?  I'd like to use the device on Mint.
  • JEWEL
    JEWEL Member Posts: 59

Tinkerer

Slowest service quality is the character of acer. So you have to suffer. I am suffering also over a month. 
  • JackE
    JEWEL    Go to this link  https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/support  and try all available contact methods including email and the India chatline with the ACER account number you used to get your BIOS reset by ACER service. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JEWEL

Tinkerer

JackE
    I tried everything  . Acer got my case and send them to Indian service center and from there they shift it my nearest service center kolkata . I gotta call from Kolkata service center . They hung me to say they ask a master password from acer By sending mail. They are waiting till but there is no mail haven't been sent to them from acer. Isn't it the failure service quality of acer? What should I do now? Should I go to your main office and throw my laptop on your ceo's face? What type of service is this? My laptop is now totally useless. If you can't recover bios pass why do you build this laptop? Shouldn't a bios reset jumper present in the laptop like previous generation? I am now helpless and I told it from my lonely mind. I am totally depressed with my laptop . 
  • JackE
    JEWEL >>>What should I do now? Should I go to your main office and throw my laptop on your ceo's face? >>>

Do you have an ACER repair request case number? I'm fairly sure the laptop must be sent to the center that should've been  in the case number instructions. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JEWEL

Tinkerer

They didn't register any case number. 
  • JEWEL

Tinkerer

I explained my problem  They said that sorry we can't register your case. You have to go our service center and they will fix it with some  charge  I left my laptop and they give me a receipt copy. But after 20 days they said that you can take your pc acer is not replying our mail.with the needed master bios code. They took my bill and my identity proof and made attached it with the mail also. After some days I contacted the main office  They took my snid and . They said me that we will hand over ut india and from there to Kolkata . I waited. After some days I got a call from service center.. And said that we are informed about your problem from bangalore . I thin they send the mail to acer again. But I call them continuously after 1 or 2 days. But no replay from acer. The service center told me if we gotta mail we will call you . But it's going on till now. 
  • JackE
    JEWEL>>>They said that sorry we can't register your case. >>>

Who said they can't register?  Did you use this site?  http://customercare.acer-apac.com/CustomerSelfService/CaseBooking.aspx?CID=IN&LID=ENG

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JEWEL

Tinkerer

From call center of India. I called several times  
  • JackE
    Then use this site to book a repair and get a case number http://customercare.acer-apac.com/CustomerSelfService/CaseBooking.aspx?CID=IN&LID=ENG

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ