Helios HD Upgrade

pralyas
pralyas Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi all,

I just ordered a Helios 500. After reading the forums and seeing a few issues regarding the HDD, I want to replace mine with a SDD. I thinking about getting a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB. Would there be any problems with this configuration?

Best Answer

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited October 2018 Answer ✓
    Nope it will work just fine.

I would like to make a suggestion though..
    You have an EXTRA m.2 NVME slot in your H500.

It may be a better choice to add a m.2 SSD then upgrade the HDD to a 7200 rpm drive instead of the 5400 rpm drive that comes with your laptop (I swapped mine to 7200 IMMEDIATELY lol).

You can also install Intel optane SSD which is like a super caching drive for your HDD.
    So if you got a smaller Intel Optane drive (256ish gb) then snagged a 2 tb HDD you would save some $$$ and still get blazin speeds.

Just a thought.
    - Hotel Hero

Answers

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited October 2018 Answer ✓
    Nope it will work just fine.

I would like to make a suggestion though..
    You have an EXTRA m.2 NVME slot in your H500.

It may be a better choice to add a m.2 SSD then upgrade the HDD to a 7200 rpm drive instead of the 5400 rpm drive that comes with your laptop (I swapped mine to 7200 IMMEDIATELY lol).

You can also install Intel optane SSD which is like a super caching drive for your HDD.
    So if you got a smaller Intel Optane drive (256ish gb) then snagged a 2 tb HDD you would save some $$$ and still get blazin speeds.

Just a thought.
    - Hotel Hero
  • pralyas
    pralyas Member Posts: 2 New User
    That's a great suggestion! Thank you so much for your help :-)