Acer Nitro 5 A515-51 (Okt. 2017) RAM Upgrade causes "black screen" + no start

watcherdrums
watcherdrums Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi im using Acer Nitro 5 since oktober 2017 (i5 7300, 1050Ti, 8 gb. BIOS 1.09)- very pleased.

recently have bought a new RAM (SK hynix SO-DIMM 8GB DDR4-2400 CL17 (1Gx8) SR (HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH N0 AC) which is exactly the same as in my laptop from start (checked with HWINFO64).

After installing the RAM laptop doesnt start (with 16Gb RAM ). Even ACER logo doesn't come. 

I'm asking could it be the Problem with BIOS (should it be Updated) or could it be a Problem with a DDR module.

Thnx

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,835 Trailblazer
    You should only have one slot available for removable RAM and one soldered 4GB module. So if you had originally 8GB, there should've been one 4GB removable module. So replacing 4GB with 8GB should yield 12GB not 16GB. If the machine won't start with the 8GB removable module but will with the 4G module, the new 8GB module is probably defective. Return it to the vendor for an exchange. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• watcherdrums
    watcherdrums Member Posts: 2 New User
    JackE said:
    You should only have one slot available for removable RAM and one soldered 4GB module. So if you had originally 8GB, there should've been one 4GB removable module. So replacing 4GB with 8GB should yield 12GB not 16GB. If the machine won't start with the 8GB removable module but will with the 4G module, the new 8GB module is probably defective. Return it to the vendor for an exchange. Jack E/NJ 
    i have exactly the same build of my Nitro 5 as on a pic below.
    https://static.digit.in/default/253cf13e244abc55cd041b884554872c68a3eadc.jpeg
    so it definitly has a 2 RAM SLOTS (it is even marked as DDR4 RAM SLOT on the black part of the RAM holder)
    i put 2 exacly same DDR RAM banks from Hynix in the laptop and ist doesnt start at all.
    Short search at acer forum also told me that there was some problems with Nitro 5 caused by BIOS and they were fixed by updating the last one.
    I'm curious if the RAM upgrade could be a BIOS problem of my new DDR4 is definitely not functioning.

im my situation BIOS update is a bad option because then i need to reinstall windows (on my SSD) and change MBR to GPT boot record to update BIOS. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,835 Trailblazer
    edited October 2018
    OK. You have the AN515-51, not the A515-51 in your title. If you originally had a 2x4GB or 1x8GB configuration and the old modules still work OK, then one or both of the new Hynix modules are defective. Test only one of the new modules at a time to find out. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• ArFix
    ArFix Member Posts: 2 New User
    ada indikasi bahwa ram laptop tersebut rusak atau tidak terpasang dengan tepat, coba copot kemudian pasang kembali ramnya pada slot ram, jika masalah masih saja terjadi coba untuk membeli ram baru... thanks :3