Is there any solution for random freeze / lockup on Aspire 5745PG?

Options
citrus
citrus Member Posts: 5 New User

Ever since we bought our 5745PG it would randomly freeze - i.e. complete lockup, not responsive to mouse or keyboard, requiring a hard shutdown and reboot.  Usually it would happen when it was not even in use, just sitting idle.  We would go to use it and find it frozen.  Occasionally it would happen when browsing the web - sudden freeze.

I read somewhere on the web something like 'the image acer uses on their laptops has a problem that causes freezing but if you install a fresh copy of windows it works fine'.  So eventually I got around to trying Windows 8 on it and actually it did work great for quite a while, but then one night recently it froze up again and needed a hard restart.

[After restarting, Windows wouldn't boot, and kept going into recovery mode, but the recovery would always fail.  I tried a Windows 8 "refresh" which is supposed to restore system files -- still wouldn't boot.  Then I performed a Windows 8 "reset" (which is essentially reinstalling the OS) and then it would boot, but now inexplicably the system fan was on full speed 100% of the time.  So it doesn't seem that this was a successful solution.]

Since then I reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 7, along with the drivers available on Acer support site (except the NVidia graphics driver, but that's another story), including the BIOS 1.19 update, and it worked for a few days before once again freezing!

Anyway, long story short:  is there any cure for the random freezing?  Did I just get a "lemon"?  I suppose it was my mistake not returning it or getting service within the warranty period.  Any clues out there?

Best Answer

• Joshua188
    Joshua188 Member Posts: 523 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

well try a reload Using the the ALT+F10 on boot and run through option 1. make sure you have a backup of the files before you go through this.

Answers

• Joshua188
    Joshua188 Member Posts: 523 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

well try a reload Using the the ALT+F10 on boot and run through option 1. make sure you have a backup of the files before you go through this.

• citrus
    citrus Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

Thanks Joshua188.  Although ALT+F10 didn't work, I did have my recovery dvds and I successfully restored to original state.  The freezing/lockup problem has not recurred now for a week so perhaps that has indeed fixed it.

This discussion has been closed.