Aspire V15 dies as soon as unplugged despite being at 100% charge. Replaced battery and A/C adapter

mathoma5
mathoma5 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited January 2021 in Aspire Laptops

Bought refurbished Acer Aspire V15 Nitro BE a year ago. As of a month or so ago, the laptop dies as soon as the charger is unplugged and does not start at all without being plugged in. It never had this issue originally and I've now unfortunately passed the warranty period (one year) but was "spotty" about 5-6 months into having the laptop, e.g. it would work on battery as normal except if I held a certain spot near the A/C adapter with my hand in which case it'd die instantly (weird!).

I have tried playing with various power options and nothing looks incorrect/off base. Replacing the battery with one made exactly for the laptop resulted in the same issue but, instead of being at 100%, the battery was at 28% and "plugged in, not charging status". Device manager reflects drivers/identification for both A/C adapter and battery but I still even tried the reset/remove battery/hold power 20 seconds trick to no avail. Tried replacing A/C adapter and, with both batteries, nothing changes.

So, I can kinda conclusively assume this is not because of the battery, charger, or power settings. I'm wondering what else it could be and my options including Acer support on this even past the warranty (would they do a paid repair?) Thanks!

Comments

• Can you tell the model of your computer? Example: v3-571!
    You can try this:a) delete the battery driver and restart the notebook to see if it solves the problem:
    b) reset the battery correctly. To do this, turn off and turn notebook and look for the battery reset hole, and then press it for five seconds. Then leave the notebook off for five minutes and test:
    c) it is possible that the interlock button is not pressed properly, so I need to know the notebook model!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • mathoma5
    Thanks a bunch for the response! The exact model is VN7-593G-70U4. I have tried uninstalling the driver in Device Manager like you showed in the first screenshot but that didn't help. I then shut down the computer, held power 20 seconds to drain flea power, and unplugged/replugged in battery and restarted hoping the new driver would fix things but that didn't change anything either. I am unsure if I have a battery reset hole on the bottom of my laptop but I've never looked so, if I can't find it later, maybe we'll want to check the interlock but I'm not sure how to do that and would appreciate instruction if you can provide- thanks again!
  • Seu modelo tem um botão de reset da bateria aqui, veja:

redefinir a bateria corretamente. Para fazer isso, desligue e gire o notebook e procure o orifício de reinicialização da bateria e pressione-o por cinco segundos. Em seguida, deixe o notebook desligado por cinco minutos e teste:
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • mathoma5
    Hi! Thanks for the tip but unfortunately this still did not fix the issue. I also tried reinstalling/restarting the battery drivers themselves (took out battery, uninstalled, reinstalled after battery was put back in) and that didn't work either. Wonder what could be the issue?
  • I still find that the power interrupt button is not being pressed properly!
    The model button vn7-592g looks like this:

You should see a ledge pressing this button! It is usually located near ram but I do not know where it is located on your notebook

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• cryingwolf
    cryingwolf Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Hi, I was having the same sorta problem. My Acer Aspire kept randomly shutting down and I found these 2 solutions, try #1 and if that doesn't work try #2. Hopefully 1 of the solutions will work, the 2nd worked for me. 

#1:
    a) unplug the power supply                                                                                                                         
    b) locate the battery reset pinhole on the bottom of your device
    c) insert a pin or small paperclip into hole and press for 5 seconds
    d) let device stay unplugged for 5 minutes
    e) reconnect  power supply and turn on device

#2:
    a) plug in power supply
    b) visit: Drivers and Manuals in Acer Support website
    c) enter serial #/SNID
    d) select BIOS/FIRMWARE
    e) download the link for the BIOS/FIRMWARE file you want
    f) right click the downloaded zip file, then click "extract all files"
    g) double click folder with the same name as the downloaded file, double click the Windows folder
    h) double click the "executable file", installation is automatic
    i) restart device when installation is complete 

• However it is an extremely risky procedure and I do not take any responsibility for any damage!
    I still think the power interruption button may not be properly pressed!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• satinrose7
    satinrose7 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Thank you so much for the picture showing where the power interruption button is. I've searched for day and days for a picture or something to show where it is at. Without this I would of never been able to fix my laptop.   Thanks
  • You are welcome my friend @satinrose7

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TravisHiner
    TravisHiner Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Hello,

I am having a similar issue with an Acer Aspire 725-C62kk
    The netbook hadn't been used for a year or so and the battery was completely dead. After purchasing a new 6-cell battery the computer would charge up to 100% then when unplugged would die at 80-85% power about 41,000 mWh of 50,522 mWh. I have tried uninstalling either then both battery drivers, flushing the bios, updating the bios to the latest version 1.08, attempted to condition the battery but I can't seem to get it to power up on less than an 80% charge, I even tried to reset windows. But the problem persists. Please help.
  • SPM
    SPM Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hello,

I am having a similar issue with an Acer Aspire 725-C62kk
    The netbook hadn't been used for a year or so and the battery was completely dead. After purchasing a new 6-cell battery the computer would charge up to 100% then when unplugged would die at 80-85% power about 41,000 mWh of 50,522 mWh. I have tried uninstalling either then both battery drivers, flushing the bios, updating the bios to the latest version 1.08, attempted to condition the battery but I can't seem to get it to power up on less than an 80% charge, I even tried to reset windows. But the problem persists. Please help.
    Hello, 
    I have the same problem, but now I have completed resolved it. I have tried the following:
    Method 1: Changing Power Management Settings
    Method 2: Reinstall Battery Drivers
    Method 3: Run Power-Troubleshooter
    Method 4: Unstall Microsoft ACPI-compliant Control Method Battery
    Method 5: Power Reset Button
    Method 6: Disconnecting the Battery
    But the laptop taskbar still showed 100% battery full and the charger still refused to do charging, once I unplugged the charger, the laptop shutdown. So what I did is to disable Microsoft ACPI-compliant Control Method Battery by right clicking this tool in Device Manager. The battery icon disappeared from the taskbar. I shutdown my laptop, unplug the AC power, let it sit for one hour. Afterwards, I pressed Power button to start the laptop without AC power, the laptop can then run on battery without ACPI interruption. I drained up the whole battery till the laptop shutdown automatically. Right at this time, I plugged in AC power, turned on the laptop, immediately enabled Microsoft ACPI-compliant Control Method Battery by right clicking this tool in Device Manager. The battery icon appeared on the taskbar now, and indicated it was being charged from 3%. This problem can finally be resolved. Bravo!
    SPM