Huge performance loss due to faulty cpu clockrate on Acer Aspire 3 A315-41-R2GU - how to fix it?

Options
13»

Answers

• ilhamzap
    ilhamzap Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Yeah, nice price you got for that used device, very worth it IMO. It seems you really don't need a laptop or portable PC?

Well, they finished it last Saturday.
    And no changes they said, they already checked some new product, same problem, and a new motherboard for my laptop also the same problem. But the first try could get near 600 or maybe 600+. Normal they said.
    Well, it's maybe because processor couldn't utilize it's maxed potential. I checked power usage in various software (HWMonitor, HWInfo, AIDA64, etc) a few seconds CineBench running, could get a little bit more than 13W, the rest around 11W (maybe 10-12W, forgot it and bored to retest it again), it's because of 75°C temp limitation probably.
    They decide to use my old motherboard. And they found that bad hard disk condition causes a slight lag in my laptop, then they had to replace it. Much better but still need to deal with this processor problem.

For me, this Acer laptop still a good deal compared to Asus or HP, easy upgrade and 2 slots of RAM ofc none soldered, price, already 8GB dual-channel, etc.
    Ryzen 2? 2500U already the second generation of Ryzen, and for the mobile/ laptop without taste any first generation and none built for a laptop.
    Waiting for 3700U I guess, Ryzen 7 still, the same spec like 2700U but with higher IPC, same TDP, and other specs = better performance of course,

In 2 weeks, I'll try to repaste with one of the best paste, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, this week shipped and arrived, next week to repaste it to Acer center ofc, no warranty void. And see if this solution works also will try Opolar vacuum cooler (or similar product) rather than cooling pad (almost no use, except to give some space underneath laptop for circulation) later.

Yea, someone said Acer use bad thermal paste according to an old thread.
  • ilhamzap
    Options
    Someone FB group just test CineBench, get 644 without cold boot or other configs, just straight through while in usage.
    Not Acer, but Asus gaming (GTX 1050), still R5 2500U and same 15W TDP according to software, I not found any product with 25W cTDP up for now, and maybe any manufacturers not even want it.
    He using liquid metal wtf (no compromise, cooling performance is massive), maybe his laptop using copper heatsink because of gaming laptop? not sure, afaik none use other than aluminum for a laptop. And leak could happen if this portable device carried to other places because changed laptop position while carried away, probably damage other circuits.
  • ilhamzap
    Options
    Update : he using copper heatsink, but still dangerous if hit other circuits.
    Also afaik silicon based pastes comecwith stock heatsink, poor conductivity compared to other pastes (ceramic or metal based) and just used for regular usage.
    Acer seems doesn't care about this, just use stock for all products even for gaming? Idk.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,543 Trailblazer
    Options
    JohnnyK>>>WHY CANT I POST ANYTHING>>>

You just did. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jfmartin
    jfmartin Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options
    hello ... I buy the day April 2, 2019 the model Aspire A315-41 (in Chile) ryzen 5 2500u, ram12gb, hdd 1st in first boot and winsdows configuration all ok the cpu 2.1 and 3.6 peaks.
    Let it finish loading battery and update windows and turn off and back on with 100% battery and without connecting the charger the cpu was fixed at + - 15ghz and when reconnecting the charger was almost equal 1.6 + - ... ..

I returned it to the store and they gave me a new one and I did the same procedure just started with the charger connected and while I set up windows and they update, all ok 2.1 + - and 3.6ghz peaks. When the battery was shut off I pulled out the charger (I was 100% engaged) and when I turned on the cpu in 1.5 + - and when putting the charger it oscillates between 1.5ghz - 2.3ghz - 2.6ghz sometime but very few 3.0ghz ....

Something strange happens when it finishes its first load or when windows are updated and then everything changes and even installing the recovery no longer maintains the 2.1ghz-3.6ghz with the charger ..

what I have clear that the hdd thosiba of 1tera is very slow and I added a m.2 ssd crucial sata 250gb (operative system) starts very fast and it turns off very fast ...

I do not understand what cpu varies so much, a madness that I can not understand .....
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I do not understand what cpu varies so much, a madness that I can not understand .....>>>
    ¡Bienvenido loco Win10 actualizando!   =) Jack E/NJ
    Welcome to crazy Win10 updates!  =) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jfmartin

Tinkerer

Options
    now I did a test while charging battery (it's like 50% and loading) by clicking on the battery icon of windows and selecting "mobility center" I put it in high performance and put it on the antivirus for the cpu to work and I arrived to mark the cpu 3ghz-3.4ghz I do not know if it was just chance ...

I'm also thinking about changing the chipset driver that AMD AMD Chipset Drivers AMD Ryzen ™ Balanced Power Plan has

AMD Chipset Drivers
    Revision Number
    File Size
    65.1 MB
    Release Date
    10/26/2018
    TO DOWNLOAD*
    Driver Details
    Supports:

Windows® 7/10 for
            2nd Gen AMD Ryzen ™ Desktop Processor
            7th-Gen AMD A-Series Processors
            AMD Ryzen ™ Desktop Processor
            AMD X470 Chipset
            AMD X370 Chipset
            AMD B450 Chipset
            AMD B350 Chipset
            AMD A320 Chipset
    Windows® 10 only for
            2nd Gen AMD Ryzen ™ Threadripper ™ Processor
            AMD Ryzen ™ Threadripper ™ Processor
            AMD Ryzen ™ Desktop Processor with Radeon ™ Vega Graphics
            AMD Ryzen ™ Mobile Processor with Radeon ™ Vega Graphics
            AMD X399 Chipset

Package Includes:

AMD Chipset Drivers
            AMD Ryzen ™ Balanced Power Plan
  • jfmartin

Tinkerer

Options
    during this test it was constant at 2.4ghz + - and then at 1.8ghz... -2.0ghz... -2.3ghz

• JackE
    Options
    Antes de las pruebas de carga pesada, la batería debe estar casi al 100% cargada, el cargador enchufado y los planes de energía en modo de alto rendimiento. Jack E/NJ

Before heavy-load tests, battery should be near 100% charged, charger plugged in, and power plans in high performance mode. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AgustinMora1
    AgustinMora1 Member Posts: 9 New User
    Options
    Hi guys, i have THE SAME PROBLEM, i buy an acer aspire 3 a314-21-94qh-1, 8 gb ram, a A9 of 7gen 9420e with 1.8Ghz (which the turbo boost it gets 2.68 ghz) i see this problem after 45 minutes of use (no matter what, no matter when) editing or playing is the same issure, i did it ALL to get an solution of this problem, i change the notebook with the warranty (thinking is having the problem with de notebook) i but is the same, i dont know whats is the really solution of this but i im really tired, i hope you cant read this after long time and sorry of the error of gramatics, i am spanish its been a while write in english.
    Cheers
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    Hi guys, i have THE SAME PROBLEM, i buy an acer aspire 3 a314-21-94qh-1, 8 gb ram, a A9 of 7gen 9420e with 1.8Ghz (which the turbo boost it gets 2.68 ghz) i see this problem after 45 minutes of use (no matter what, no matter when) editing or playing is the same issure, i did it ALL to get an solution of this problem, i change the notebook with the warranty (thinking is having the problem with de notebook) i but is the same, i dont know whats is the really solution of this but i im really tired, i hope you cant read this after long time and sorry of the error of gramatics, i am spanish its been a while write in english.
    Cheers

Please start a new Topic of your own for your question. This Topic is old, thankyou

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★