How Do i use the rx560x in my laptop other than the vega 8? acer nitro 5 laptop with ryzen processor

Options
sachinsv7
sachinsv7 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2018 in Nitro Gaming
Please provide me with detailed info to how to switch to this card.. I just bought this laptop and its been a headache for me to use the 1gb  card(vega 8) when i have a 4g card on board...How do i use the rx560x in the laptop..please tell me how to switch it

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options
    sachinsv7 
    This could be a AMD driver problem that is affecting multiple users. Please follow the solution posted at AMD forum for Acer Nitro laptop.
    This is a non Acer website, please proceed with steps at your own risk.
    https://community.amd.com/thread/229728

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • blazerx46
    blazerx46 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    You can use the AMD Radeon settings from start menu or by right-clicking on desktop.
    In Radeon Settings go to System > Switchable Graphics > search for application and select the desired mode.

Power Saving - Application uses integrated graphics.
    High Performance - Application uses dGPU (RX 560X).
    Based on Power Source - Application uses dGPU when plugged in, otherwise integrated if running on battery.

Check in task manager if the application is switching to dGPU.
    Hope this helps.
  • chandufade
    chandufade Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    but still sometimes it still uses the vega 8 even after switching to high performance please explain

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited May 2019
    Options
    It will switch to Vega 8 for non demanding programs and system applications, there is no way and no need for your Laptop to operate on the RX560x 100% of the time. If you have added a game under switchable graphics and selected high performance it will run on the RX560x all the time. Your laptop has 2 graphics cards so that the dedicated card will run games that you selected and the APU will run the less demanding apps and processes such as web browsing, the computer makes the choice if you have not specified High Performance for a program. I know of no way to force the Laptop to use the RX560x 100% of the time for every program and process, you could find every program you have installed and make it High Performance but this would have a massive impact on battery life and for example there is absolutely no gain in having your web browser on High Performance and that is why you have to Graphics cards so that you get better battery life

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    edited May 2019
    Options
    To ensure your game is running in High Performance, go to your AMD Radeon control center select SYSTEM/SWITCHABLE GRAPHICS/RUNNING APPLICATIONS/INSTALLED PROFILED APPLICATIONS/BROWSE then navigate to your games .exe launch file, select it and it will then show in installed application, then click the application and select high performance.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Sharanji said:
    sachinsv7 
    This could be a AMD driver problem that is affecting multiple users. Please follow the solution posted at AMD forum for Acer Nitro laptop.

Sharanji said:
    sachinsv7 

With respect this solution is outdated and pertains to 2018 and refers to outdated drivers, BIOS and AMD Control Center that have all had multiple updates since the original post. Installing the current AMD Radeon Adrenalin Control Center with 19.5.1 Drivers should be the first thing to do before setting the Games etc to High Performance. Install from the link below. 
     https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-5-1

Also make sure your BIOS is updated, for the ANS15-42 it should be 1.13, link to update below
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7605?b=1

If you update your BIOS and the AMD Control Center/Drivers and select High Performance as outlined in my previous post then hopefully all will be working well

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Tomek58er
    Tomek58er Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    andylb said:
    It will switch to Vega 8 for non demanding programs and system applications, there is no way and no need for your Laptop to operate on the RX560x 100% of the time. If you have added a game under switchable graphics and selected high performance it will run on the RX560x all the time. Your laptop has 2 graphics cards so that the dedicated card will run games that you selected and the APU will run the less demanding apps and processes such as web browsing, the computer makes the choice if you have not specified High Performance for a program. I know of no way to force the Laptop to use the RX560x 100% of the time for every program and process, you could find every program you have installed and make it High Performance but this would have a massive impact on battery life and for example there is absolutely no gain in having your web browser on High Performance and that is why you have to Graphics cards so that you get better battery life
    Please help i plugged in my cable but it wont switch
  • andylb
    Options
    @Tomek58er please start a new topic for your problem and then I will be happy to answer

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Dubby
    Dubby Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I HOPE THIS COMMENT GETS READ BECAUSE IT IS STATED CLEARLY MANY TIMES AND MANY OF YOU FAIL TO READ OR DON'T KNOW HOW, SO HOW ABOUT READING THIS MESSAGE THAT IS IN ALL CAPS?!?!?!?!

You can't force your computer to run on the RX 560X all time. Well, practically you can if u disable the Vega 8 mobile graphics under device management. However, doing that will take a lot away from you, and instead of your thinking that the RX 560X is going to make it all better if that is the only one being used, you're very incorrect, because the Vega 8 is how a lot of your laptop runs. Like, goodbye HDMI plug in, because it will not detect another display without the Vega 8. And if you're reading this comment because I got your attention with my spectacular caps intro in this comment, well congratulations. You're learning something now. This laptop is unique, and it has not one but 2 GPU's. Dedicated, and a discreet. It is a OS that has a design with the GPU to run both in compatibility with each other specifically to NOT use one GPU at all times. It will know when to include the use of one or the other, and what fits what in its use. The RX560X may have better results in gaming and graphic wise, but the Vega 8 is needed for your computer to run smoothly. And you should honestly just trust what I'm saying, because if you don't, you're going to screw up your laptop and end up making it unusable. If you screw with something the wrong way, there's various results that can happen and most of them are bad. You can tinker with the screen resolution and bust your displays colors and all that, you can fry out your GPU's or CPU, and probably over 1000 other possibilities that lead to your computer not working. Be wise, listen, and you can prevent that from happening <3

Also, if this has helped you, then please click the "YES" in the "Did this help you?" section. Thank you :)<3 
  • pjalig
    pjalig Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Dubby said:
    I HOPE THIS COMMENT GETS READ BECAUSE IT IS STATED CLEARLY MANY TIMES AND MANY OF YOU FAIL TO READ OR DON'T KNOW HOW, SO HOW ABOUT READING THIS MESSAGE THAT IS IN ALL CAPS?!?!?!?!

You can't force your computer to run on the RX 560X all time. Well, practically you can if u disable the Vega 8 mobile graphics under device management. However, doing that will take a lot away from you, and instead of your thinking that the RX 560X is going to make it all better if that is the only one being used, you're very incorrect, because the Vega 8 is how a lot of your laptop runs. Like, goodbye HDMI plug in, because it will not detect another display without the Vega 8. And if you're reading this comment because I got your attention with my spectacular caps intro in this comment, well congratulations. You're learning something now. This laptop is unique, and it has not one but 2 GPU's. Dedicated, and a discreet. It is a OS that has a design with the GPU to run both in compatibility with each other specifically to NOT use one GPU at all times. It will know when to include the use of one or the other, and what fits what in its use. The RX560X may have better results in gaming and graphic wise, but the Vega 8 is needed for your computer to run smoothly. And you should honestly just trust what I'm saying, because if you don't, you're going to screw up your laptop and end up making it unusable. If you screw with something the wrong way, there's various results that can happen and most of them are bad. You can tinker with the screen resolution and bust your displays colors and all that, you can fry out your GPU's or CPU, and probably over 1000 other possibilities that lead to your computer not working. Be wise, listen, and you can prevent that from happening <3

Also, if this has helped you, then please click the "YES" in the "Did this help you?" section. Thank you :)<3 
    Ok I mean this sounds fine, but all i care about is that when i load up a game like Path of Exile, and click on the graphics settings and it reads radeon (tm) Vega 8 instead of the RX 560x like i expect. Does the Machine switch while i am playing to compensate, while i am actually in the game or am i really just stuck with the on chip graphics. Because it sure acts like it. my graphics are all slow and mediocre, and when i load up the radeon performance metrics tab with the game running it shows VRAM 1 at 100% and VRAM2 and GPU 2 are not even moving at 0%. I cant find anything in any of the settings to default to this magic "HIGH Performance" you speak of. Its like may as well not even have the gpu graphics card for gaming. 
  • andylb
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @pjalig Please start a new topic for your question and I will be happy to solve your problem. I have designed a walkthrough for the AMD Control center to resolve your exact problem and I will be happy to share it with you when you post your question in your own Topic =)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Unstopablejay
    Unstopablejay Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    I found a solution. Go to edit plan settings (search it in control panel or windows sear h) >change advanced power settings > change all options to high performance or maximize performance. Then I re installed the graphic driver. That worked for me. Hope it will work for you.