Why isn't my active stylus working?

anon15
anon15 Member Posts: 8 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I recently purchased the acer active stylus that I made sure was compatible with my computer. The computer registers the pen is there in the sense that I am able to move the cursor around, but if I click/touch something with the pen, the computer registers that I clicked/touched it, but nothing happens. Its not my computer though, because the screen registers my finger. I installed the acer hover access, but it wouldn't let me complete setup because my "system has not been modified". I have no idea what this means but I would really like my pen to work. If anybody has an answers I would appreciate it greatly.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,444 Trailblazer
    >>>I recently purchased the acer active stylus that I made sure was compatible with my computer.>>>

What computer model number do you have? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• anon15
    edited October 2018
    I have an Acer Alpha switch 12 (SA5-271)
  • JackE
    What happens if you press and hold the button, then move the stylus around? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• anon15

The same thing happens where it registers that the pen is there, but won't register the button pressing. Like the thing I'm holding it over will go a shade darker, registering that my cursor is there, but it won't let me click.

• JackE
    What happens when you try to lower double click the on a blank desktop spot? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• anon15

nothing happens

• JackE
    edited October 2018
    Hover access app should've popped up. Either the pen is defective or its AAAA battery low, or you need to download Hover Access again and try to re-install it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• anon15
    I already removed Hover Access and re-installed it, but it gives me the same results every time, it just says my system is not modified.
  • JackE
    Right click on the Hover Access installation file again. Then run it as Administrator. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• anon15
    Same thing happens. I will run it and it says click finish to finish the acer hover access set up. When I do this it closes the window, but the pen wont work. When I click on the set up file again, it asks me if I want to remove the acer hover access that I just installed. When I click cancel, then the message pops up about how the setup was interrupted and that my system hasn't been modified.
  • JackE
    >>>Same thing happens. I will run it and it says click finish to finish the acer hover access set up. When I do this it closes the window, but the pen wont work>>>

That doesn't seem the same thing to me. You said earlier >>> I installed the acer hover access, but it wouldn't let me complete setup because my "system has not been modified". >>>

This time you didn't get that message "not modified" after installing it. So what happens when you try to lower double click the on a blank desktop spot now? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• anon15
    It doesn't work. The same thing happens every time. Even when I ran it as an administrator it say set up was INTERRUPTED, meaning the setup was never completed, meaning the hover access still does not work. Therefore, my pen does not work. When I ran it as an administrator it installed like normal. When i went to run the actual program, it told me to click on the file to finish the setup. When I did this and tried to finish the setup, it kept asking me to uninstall what I just installed. When I clicked cancel, then the message pops up about how the setup was interrupted and that my system hasn't been modified. Its almost like it's saying that set up can't be completed because I won't uninstall hover access, which makes no sense to me.
  • JackE
    Remnants of the failed Hover Access installations are probably still on the machine. So open Control Panel. Search "programs". Click on add/remove programs on the left side. Scroll down thru the list till you find Hover Access. Uninstall it. Then try to re-install / run it as an ****adminstrator**** again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• anon15
    edited November 2018

This time it still said the setup ended prematurely, but it didn't ask me to uninstall anything. The pen still doesn't work

• JackE
    Follow the video below for resetting your machine to a factory-fresh state using the ALT+F10 coldboot method. Then try to re-install Hover Access. If Hover Access still doesn't install properly, either return the machine to the vendor for a refund or replacement ASAP if still within the vendor's return policy time limit, or arrange for a warranty repair. I know the reset is a PIA, but do it now to rule in or rule out a hardware issue. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA

Jack E/NJ