Running HTC Vive off GTX 980M? Predator 15 G9-591

Options
Jake_7777
Jake_7777 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello,
I recently purchased an HTC Vive because the price was right and I'm planning on building a desktop in 6 months or so. Right now I have the Predator 15 G9-591 with a 980m, and was curious if I could get the Vive to run off my laptop for the time being. Gonna tell the story in three parts, just because it's easier that way.

Part 1: SteamVR benchmark
When starting the benchmark, all it displays is a white screen. The benchmark eventually finishes and gives me the results that my laptop is just below the recommended specs, and it says it's using the intel integrated graphics. I know it's using the 980m and not the integrated graphics, because I can watch my GPU usage in task manager and the 980m maxes out during the benchmark so it's weird that it says it's using the intel graphics.

Part 2: Using the headset
When setting up the headset, the first real "program" you run is room setup. This is where the real problem begins, in that I can't get anything to display when the room setup program starts. The program is running and responding, but the window doesn't show anything. I looked in my display settings, and it showed that both my laptop monitor and the Vive were running using the integrated graphics, which is what I assume the problem is since the Vive isn't compatible with integrated graphics.

Part 3: What I've tried
I tried everything with Nvidia control panel already including setting my global preferences to the 980m and restarting, but everything stays the same. My Nvidia driver is updated and Windows is updated. By changing my display settings from extending the display to only displaying on display 1 (laptop display), I was able to get a white window for room setup which was more than I had before, but then obviously nothing is being output to the Vive.

So, here's my question: How do I run a display, the Vive in this case, off my 980m and not my integrated graphics?

Thanks guys, I can post SteamVR/Windows system reports or any screenshots if needed, just ask. 

Best Answer

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited October 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    Capmalo said:
    "If not, I’m sorry but VR doesn’t work with Nvidia Optimus so you will need a VR Ready laptop or a desktop"

This is just not true.
    The Helios 300 (1060) has optimus and runs VR just fine.

@Jake_7777 The short answer is no.
    Minimum requirements for HTC and Occulus does not include the 980m.

There are rare cases of certain laptops making it work (although not smoothly) by changing all Nvidia GPU control panel program settings directed to dedicated GPU but that case is rare and I do not know which driver they used.

It has nothing to do with the power of the GPU but rather that HTC/Occulus do not provide support and Nvidias driver updates are not released with support in mind.
    - Hotel Hero

Answers

• Capmalo
    Capmalo Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    Did your HMDI/Display port have direct access to the NVIDIA GPU ?

Open Nvidia Control Panel and go in the Surround/Physx tab. Post a capture if you’re not sure.

If not, I’m sorry but VR doesn’t work with Nvidia Optimus so you will need a VR Ready laptop or a desktop
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited October 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    Capmalo said:
    "If not, I’m sorry but VR doesn’t work with Nvidia Optimus so you will need a VR Ready laptop or a desktop"

This is just not true.

There are rare cases of certain laptops making it work (although not smoothly) by changing all Nvidia GPU control panel program settings directed to dedicated GPU but that case is rare and I do not know which driver they used.

It has nothing to do with the power of the GPU but rather that HTC/Occulus do not provide support and Nvidias driver updates are not released with support in mind.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Capmalo
    Capmalo Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited October 2018
    Options
    Red-Sand said:
    Capmalo said:

This is just not true.
    By Optimus i mean through the Intel HD. If your Nvidia works through the Intel HD in output (Nvidia->Intel HD-> HDMI/DisplayPort) it will not work. VR need direct access to the Nvidia GPU to works.

Red-Sand said:

980m = 970 desktop and Oculus/Vive minimum is 970. The reason why it's not in the requirements is that they're flaged as "Mobile" and for pushing people to buy "VR Ready" laptops and make money.

I managed to make working OSVR 2 (same as CV1) and Oculus DK2 with a GTX 765M (650ti desktop) so yes it will works if there is a direct connection.