Computer freezes using Restart option from power option. Have to use power button to reboot

Options
jku
jku Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited March 18 in 2020 Archives
I have an Acer AZ3171 running Windows 10 version 1803. Lately if I try to restart under  power in the menu the computer freezes with Restart and frozen circles and mouse pointer. I have to use the power switch to then reboot. The computer will than start up ok.
 Any ideas?
Thanks - James

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Digite seu comentárioMake sure disabling fast start up in the power options solves the problem:

Then put it off normally and then test the restart!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • jku
    Options
    Still having the same problem. I cannot do Windows updates as the computer hangs during installation as it won't so a soft restart.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tried updating the drivers on the intel and nvidia website?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • jku
    Options
    No driver updates available for this model
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tried upgrading windows 10?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jku
    Options
    It tries to do the auto updates to windows 10 version 1809 however it stalls at the point where it needs to restart by itself. I than have to use the power button to get the computer going again. It continues to stall at the restart point and eventually goes back to the original version ( 1803) of windows 10.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tried upgrading directly to version 1903? https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445
    Also, we recommend backing up the files.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jku
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Yes but it loads until it's time to do a software restart and then the computer hangs. Can only restart by using physical power button.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I still think there is some outdated driver. Try updating the rest of the drivers with driverbooster and then try updating to 1903 again

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jku
    Options
    Ran driver booster. It updated a few drivers. When I tried to restart it froze again. Had to reboot with physical power button.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    No error code displayed? Have you tried installing iso directly from microsoft site without using the update?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jku
    Options
    This happens even if not updating windows. Happens even if I just want to do a restart of the computer without doing any updates.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    This model come with windows 8.1 installed by Acer. Did you just upgrade windows 8.1 to windows 10 or format hdd before installing windows 10?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jku
    Options
    I've been running Windows 10 for several years. I did the upgrade and not a clean install from a formatted hdd. The restart worked ok until last summer. The problems started around the time of the 1806 update. It is still running the 1803 version. I'm worried that if I try to do a clean install and the problem isn't with Windows but maybe a Bios or some other hardware problem when it tries to restart it won't work at all.

• jku
    Options
    The bios I have is AZ3171 Bios Version 2.7  American Megatrends P01-A3   10/12/2011 Mode- Legacy
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jku
    Options
    Still having the problem where the computer freezes when I try to reboot using the restart under  power in the menu. I updated the bios to P01-B0 which is the latest version for this computer. Still freezes unless I use the power off switch.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Does the windows event viewer register an error at the exact time the blue screen appears?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jku
    Options
    Where in the event viewer would I look for this?
  • jku
    Options
    It also freezes if I try to shut it down using shutdown in the power portion of the start menu.