Best (budget and compatible) Gaming monitor for Acer Nitro 5 (AN 515 - 55 WL)

faisiDev
faisiDev Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited February 23 in 2020 Archives
Hi,
As title says, i am looking for a monitor, to set up with my Acer Nitro 5.
I am not restricted to Acer, but preferring Acer brand to help make my set up homogeneous.

After lots of digging I came across following models;

1- Acer GN246HL [https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009642&cm_re=acer_gaming_monitor-_-24-009-642-_-Product]
This model is now quite old, so its HDMI support version, and to get to 144Hz, I have to use an adapter with Dual DVI link cable, since there's no other way, means no HDMI cable will help, and HDMI is limited to 120HZ anyway, in some cases, as some people claim on youtube videos, that they are having 144Hz with HDMI, but with this model, there is no way. And connector is quite expensive, like 50/60$+.

2- Acer KG271 Cbmidpx [https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824011157]
This model is also good, has DP, 144Hz and 1ms, plus FreeSync, which is of no use for me, as of now, may be in future, but not now. Only drawback is its TN aka the washed out panel.

3- Acer XG270HU [https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009769&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL100518C&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL100518C-_-EMC-100518-Latest-_-GamingMonitors-_-24009769-S0G&ignorebbr=1]
This model is quite good, 2k 144Hz 1ms, has DP, Free Sync, and is more future proof.

4- Acer Nitro Gaming VG240Y [https://www.amazon.com/Acer-VG240Y-bmiix-FREESYNC-Technology/dp/B07CYJ47JB/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1539098483&sr=8-4&keywords=acer+nitro+gaming+monitor]
This model is real budget, and is Nitro as well, but these two series(VG0 and RG0) are really disappointing, like wth 75Hz?, yeahy we know IPS panel but again 75Hz? really? No DP ?
Okay, it doesn't have any DP just like N5 laptop, but has (1.4)Hdmi, still not 2.0 or 2.1, anyways HDMI can't give 144hz but only 120Hz. So a good quality HDMI cable will be required.

5- Acer Gaming Monitor XFA240 bmjdpr[https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XFA240-bmjdpr-Response-Technology/dp/B06ZYHZ6R6/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1539096970&sr=1-3&keywords=acer+gaming+monitor&dpID=51geOOpItVL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch]
This model just comes between #1 and #4 with FHD, 144Hz, and 1ms TN Panel packed with Free Sync, but again only HDMI can be used, so a solid 120Hz.

So guys I want to know your opinions on these Monitors.
My questions:
1- If I get #3, it will be an over kill, since my N5 won't be pushing 144/144+ fps in games, so all the time monitor's response time will be helpful in carrying out smooth game play, there will be no tearing though, but fps will always stay under 144Hz, and there is no adaptive sync in N5 laptop as well. So should I buy it? I will move reso to 1080p and Refresh rate to 120Hz, and when I will build PC Desktop machine, this will come handy?!?

2- If I get #4, is it even worth it? default panel itself is gorgeous rocking an IPS FHD with 60Hz refresh rate, so moving to another IPS FHD having 75Hz refresh rate will benefit or just a mere improvement? I will still have to enable VSync to avoid tearing since I play BF3 and BF4 mostly, and they run 100+ fps, so tearing will be there, so is it worthy to upgrade to 75Hz with VSync enabled to lock FPS to 74/75.

2- My basic focus on DP is because it is robust and tension less unlike HDMI, though my N5 doesn't have any Display Port, only HDMI, but as mentioned already, It will be more future proof, when I will get Desktop build.

3- These all(except #1) are Free Sync enabled, if any one can suggest budget G Sync ? [144Hz + 1ms is sweet spot, adaptive sync is just for sweetness on top D ]

4- If I get any of these, will I be even able to use more than 60Hz, provided all compatible cable/connectors, as I read in some post, that one needs AMD GPU for Nitro monitor to enable its 75Hz, as this refresh rate is only available for Free Sync hence requiring an AMD FreeSync compatible GPU?

5- I'm unable to find what is the HDMI version of port on my Acer Laptop, I went through many reviews, articles, and even official booklet of this machine, but couldn't find its version. If it's 1.4 or 2.0 only then I will be able to utilize 60Hz+, else it will be locked at stock refresh rate. Monitors support 144Hz only via DP or Dual Link DVI-D and unluckily AN5 has none of these, so DP to HDMI cable won't work, only solution is to use DP to DP cable with hdmi to DP active adopter. Please correct if I'm wrong.

Any help/guidance/advice is appreciated fellow PCMR fellas D 
Thanks.

Answers

• faisiDev
    faisiDev Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Hello Guys,
    In thread, I said Nitro Gaming Series monitor is not good lineup, but what I found is astounding,

[https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/UM.HV0AA.P01 ] IPS with 1ms 2K 144Hz. !! now this is amazing. But its price is little expensive, should be around 350-380$ !

I am really looking forward to this since 2K is new norm. If any one has this kindly give me advice, I am unable to find any review of this master piece.

• HarryConnor
    HarryConnor Member Posts: 4 New User
    I am currently on the same hunt my friend. Hopefully this will help you as much as it did me, maybe we can even come to the bottom of this conundrum once and for all! From another thread on this community.
    tobimaru said:
    Correct, the USB-C on the Nitro 5 does not support video out.

You're in a bit of a predicament because your model has a 1050 Ti with HDMI out only which will struggle to put out a full consistent 144Hz (if at all). Some low quality HDMI cables will not be able to display this, I think only up to 60FPS is officially supported. I believe this may be the screen freeze you are experiencing if it is not actual stutter from the GPU.

For my Nitro 5 I went for a middle option Acer GF246 which is 75FPS. HDMI doesn't struggle too hard to push this, and the GPU as well can maintain a steady 75FPS across many titles. If I plugged in a 144Hz display, I would probably see the same stuttering. The GPU and CPU temps would also rise as they work harder to push the higher framerate.

Try limiting the framerate in game to something like 90 and enable V-Sync. See if the stutter goes away.
    Strobber said:
    Hey,
    I have an Acer Nitro AN515-51 laptop which is currently connected to an external monitor (Acer KG271Cbmidpx) that supports 144Hz. Now I've tried several HDMI cables but I'm not sure if it's actually using 144Hz. A bigger issue however is that during some games I occasionally have a 1-2 second screen freeze.. An option I thought of is using the USB-C port to get a cable going to the Displayport of the screen. Before trying this I checked online but it doesn't seem like this laptop's USB-C port supports display is what I gathered from other posts. Is this true? If so how do I solve these screen freezes cause they're really annoying.. I don't have the issue if I just use my laptops monitor.

Thanks in advance
    In addition to the tips of fellow tobimaru, this notebook has an hdmi 2.0 input! Have you checked that your hdmi cable has the 2.0 specification?
    This may seem slightly off topic but I'm sure you will all be interested to hear some developments and if possible we may be able to work together to properly solve this conundrum once and for all. Please see below - another thread in this community where we're discussing a closely related topic:

Our fellow community member Wreck has just tested connecting his side monitor from his Nitro 5 through USB-C and it is functioning!!
    Wreck said:
    Weird. The HDMI to type c didn't work at all. The cable Type-C to Type-C works and the Type-C to Type-A adapter work. 
    That's amazing news! I am super glad it worked out for you Wreck. Looks like things are heading in the right direction, finally!! 

So we can see the display is working from USB-C to USB-C on the side monitor, which is amazing!!......but I am very keen to know if G Sync is capable on the side monitor as well from the USB-C port on the Nitro 5? It's the last missing piece of the puzzle that according to every possible forum on the interwebs has no clear definitive answer. The issue of full 144Hz support and operation is another key question for monitors connected this way.

With the announcement from display port that they now fully support USB-C (https://www.displayport.org/displayport-over-usb-c/), all signs point to the fact that YES - G sync is capable through USB-C from the Nitro 5's USB-C port to a g sync compatible monitor - most likely through a USB-C to Display port cable. No matter how hard I try I cannot find anyone out there who has actually tested it, the answer still eludes me.

I am very keen to find out if I can actually get g sync and 144hz running on a new monitor from the Nitro 5, albeit with a USB-C to DP adapter, and if this is the case if anyone has tested it???

Any help is greatly appreciated as I know this is brand new territory for all but if we can get a definitive answer on this the Nitro 5 once again becomes a fully viable gaming machine, both on the go or at home with a nice big fast monitor.

Let's put our heads together people and actually solve this one once and for all!

Much love and appreciation!

APOLOGIES FOR THE LENGTHY POST BUT I THINK WE ALL NEED THIS!!