Please Help. Nitro AN515-42 lags & slow performance. CPU locks at 0.40 GHz

engrian01
engrian01 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Good day

I need your help. My Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42 AMD Ryzen 7 2700u with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.20 GHz boots so slow as well as opening and using applications. I checked the CPU performance and found out that it is locked at 0.40 GHz. I tried unchecking the Fast Startup, nothing changes. Also the battery options, i have tried changing the performance to 100% at minimum and maximized all for performance. Also nothing changed. I tried shutting it down and inserted the charger and turning it on again. Checked the CPU performance and still locked at 0.40 GHz. Tried restarting again and CPU performance jumps to 2.2 to 2.6 GHz. But after 20-30 minutes, it just locked to 0.40 GHz again.

Please help. I just bought this model last September..

Thank you in Advance!

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,438 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Have you tried a High performance plan in Power options? If not, try switching from Balanced plan to High performance plan and switch to Passive  or Active for System cooling policy in advanced options.

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    What's your temperatures after 20-30 minutes?
    A CPU by design will lower its speeds/voltage usage once temperatures reach a certain degree.

Can you check with Nitro Sense and let us know your operating temps when CPU speed drops? It could be something as simple as cleaning dust from your fans.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Herman_Sol
    Herman_Sol Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Try the 1.08 BIOS update at acer's support page, mine with Ryzen 2500U used to get locked at 0.38GHz, after the update now it only has horrible latency and for some reason in BIOS 1.09 (which you can get by doing a firmware driver update through windows device manager) the cpu clock drops to 1.50GHz causing program response to slow somewhat however it goes back to normal from time to time. Aside from all that in either 1.08 and 1.09 youtube video's audio become unsynced and audio stutters whenever the wi-fi is on. Could you let me know if you had any audio problems hicups, stutter, audio pops or crackles? I am not sure who is here to blame, microsoft, realtek, qualcomm or acer thanks, hope this could have helped in any way.
  • Sensen16
    Sensen16 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hey It is also my problem right now. ACER PLEASE CAN YOU HELP US WITH THIS PROBLEM
  • Atharva03
    Atharva03 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same is the problem with my Acer nitro 5  laptop. Clock speed gets stuck at 0.40 ghz while I use it on battery but works fine when plugged in. Is there someone out with a solution?? 
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019
    Atharva03 said:
    Same is the problem with my Acer nitro 5  laptop. Clock speed gets stuck at 0.40 ghz while I use it on battery but works fine when plugged in. Is there someone out with a solution?? 

NOTE: When on battery power your CPU performance will be halved. Modern gaming laptops only operate consistently on high performance when plugged into a power supply, if it didn't your battery would be dead very quickly

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Make sure you game with your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged into power while gaming, Windows MUST be set to High Performance plan, note when on battery only the CPU will only run at 50% of max.
    Then do this:
    Open your AMD control center 
    First click the Updates tab at the bottom left and make sure your graphics drivers are updated to 19.11.2 or higher and click express upgrade. If you don't have the Adrenalin Control Center download it here
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-11-2

Please click YES if I have answered your question or helped solve your problem, thankyou

Make sure High Performance is selected under Power Plan in Nitrosense when on AC

After that make sure your games are listed under switchable graphics and your games are set on High Performance, you must import your games .exe using the Browse tab in pic below

Lastly to run your game on the RX560x you must launch the game from inside the Radeon Adrenalin Control Center. Click the gaming tab then if your game is not there you will need to add your game's .exe by using the ADD button on the right and navigating to your games .exe file, then click the drop down box for your game then click launch. The game will now launch using the RX560x and your CPU should be boosting to MAX but only if needed and it will be monitored in Nitrosense

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★