Couldn't boot from a live usb An515-5. Need help to dual boot with Linux. No legacy boot found

yashsingh
yashsingh Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
    I wanted to dualboot my pc with linux besides the Windows 10 I have but I am unable to boot from a live usb which I have tested on my othe system. I bought my laptop a week ago. It is an Acer Nitro 5 series with i7 / 16GB OPTANE DRIVE/ GTX 1050Ti. I was able to turn of secure boot successfully but couldn't change the boot mode to leagacy, moreover In the preselected and the only option of UEFI boot there is no option for boot from USB in the boot menu. I would love to get an assistance to set up a dualboot in  my laptop or to help me boot from a live 

Answers

• lupacexi
    lupacexi Member Posts: 3 New User
    I also want to
  • Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    @yashsingh

Most of the OEM devices does not have the option to switch from UEFI to Legacy. However, you can make this happen with BIOS update. You can check for the version in your unit and check for updated ones in acer website. Please read the caution message and continue if you wanted to update it. 

If not get help from some tech to update the same. I would not recommend updating if you are not sure on how to update it.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • yashsingh
    yashsingh Member Posts: 2 New User
    Rudy21 said:
    @yashsingh

Most of the OEM devices does not have the option to switch from UEFI to Legacy. However, you can make this happen with BIOS update. You can check for the version in your unit and check for updated ones in acer website. Please read the caution message and continue if you wanted to update it. 

If not get help from some tech to update the same. I would not recommend updating if you are not sure on how to update it.
    Is there any other method I have to run a bootable USB without changing my bios as I habe never updated a BIOS before and wonder if it would make my system unstable or crash it. And also what will be the safest way to update to a BIOS with legacy mode.