Acer ProDesigner PE320QK - can't get 60Hz with 4K

Options
paulstuart
paulstuart Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 16 in 2018 Archives
Hi Everyone,
I recently purchased the PE320QK, which is a 4K monitor.  I love it, but I'm having trouble getting 60Hz refresh rate at 4K. 
Here is the issue :
I am connecting to the monitor via  usbc cable into a dell XPS15.  That works fine and I can get 4K with 60Hz.
BUT, if I enable the USB 3.0 hub inside the monitor, then the monitor mode immediately changes, and the highest refresh rate at 4K resolution is only 30Hz.
I understand that alot is flowing over the USBC cable - displayport, charging and data - but it must be possible to get 60Hz with all these things too?

Does anyone know how to add a custom resolution, or some way to get around this?
I have tried updating to the latest Intel drivers (I have the intel 630 chipset in this XPS15).  And I've also tried adding a custom resolution, using the intel driver, but I get the error "Custom Resolution Exceeds Maximum Bandwidth Capacity". 

Any help would be much appreciated.  I have already sent the monitor back to Acer once to be fixed, but I don't think there is anything wrong with it.  This seems to me to be a configuration issue. 

regards

paul

Best Answer

• paulstuart
    edited November 2018 Answer ✓
    Options

Someone from support eventually pointed this out, from the manual :

USB 3.0: Default is “Off”.You can choose "On",when resolution support 3840x2160-30Hz.
    (DP ALT only)

DP ALT refers to using the USB-C cable.

so, what this is saying is the if you enable the USB 3.0 hub, then on 4K resolution the refresh rate is 30Hz.   So if this rather badly worded note has made it into the manual, then we can assume this is by design.

Still pretty disappointing though.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options
    paulstuart
    The 4K @ 30 Hz thing would most likely be due to the HDMI cable. I believe that 4K @ 60 Hz requires HDMI 2.0, and the video card also has to support 4K @ 60 Hz, regardless of the cable version. Most likely, you'll need to use a DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable to get 4K @ 60 Hz.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • paulstuart
    Options
    Hi Sharanji,
    Thanks for the response.  But the question is specifically about using the monitor with a USBC cable.  

And, as mentioned, the USBC cable can most definitely support 4K with 60Hz, which is to say it works on my setup.

But, once the USB 3.0 hub is enabled (inside the monitor, and thereby over the USBC cable too), the max refresh rate drops to 30Hz.

I have now received a replacement monitor, but the basic issue as described above still persists.

Is there perhaps some way to fool the Intel HD graphics card into accepting 4K @ 60Hz?

paul S

• paulstuart
    edited November 2018 Answer ✓
    Options

Someone from support eventually pointed this out, from the manual :

USB 3.0: Default is “Off”.You can choose "On",when resolution support 3840x2160-30Hz.
    (DP ALT only)

DP ALT refers to using the USB-C cable.

so, what this is saying is the if you enable the USB 3.0 hub, then on 4K resolution the refresh rate is 30Hz.   So if this rather badly worded note has made it into the manual, then we can assume this is by design.

Still pretty disappointing though.