I can't get an Acer XF 270H monitor to work with my Acer A 517-51G laptop via HDMI.

jimcogs
jimcogs Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 16 in 2018 Archives
No picture after turning on monitor, then turning on laptop. Then laptop screen goes black except for cursor when I turn it on. To use laptop normally, I have to unplug HDMI cable to laptop. What am I missing? Thanks for your help in advance

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited October 2018 Answer ✓
    jimcogs 
    If it is an Acer laptop, please let us know the full model number of your laptop?
    Please check the resolution settings of the display adapter on your laptop. The maximum resolution supported by the monitor is :- 

Please uninstall and reinstall the graphics adapter from device manager.
    Press the Windows key and the letter X on your keyboard and then click Device Manager. In the Device Manager, expand Display adapters.
    Right-click on the graphics card entry and then click Uninstall device option.  When you get the following confirmation dialog, select Delete the driver software for this device check box and then click Uninstall button.
    Once the driver is uninstalled, connect the monitor, reboot your computer once and let windows install the driver.

The OSD (onscreen display) can be used to adjust the settings of your LCD monitor. Press the MENU key to open the OSD. You can use the OSD to adjust the picture quality, OSD position and general settings. 
    Open the Input control and select HDMI or DP or DVI.

Here's the weblink to download the user guide : Download

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited October 2018 Answer ✓
    jimcogs 
    If it is an Acer laptop, please let us know the full model number of your laptop?
    Please check the resolution settings of the display adapter on your laptop. The maximum resolution supported by the monitor is :- 

Please uninstall and reinstall the graphics adapter from device manager.
    Press the Windows key and the letter X on your keyboard and then click Device Manager. In the Device Manager, expand Display adapters.
    Right-click on the graphics card entry and then click Uninstall device option.  When you get the following confirmation dialog, select Delete the driver software for this device check box and then click Uninstall button.
    Once the driver is uninstalled, connect the monitor, reboot your computer once and let windows install the driver.

The OSD (onscreen display) can be used to adjust the settings of your LCD monitor. Press the MENU key to open the OSD. You can use the OSD to adjust the picture quality, OSD position and general settings. 
    Open the Input control and select HDMI or DP or DVI.

Here's the weblink to download the user guide : Download

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • jimcogs
    jimcogs Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you for your quick response, Sharanji. I neglected to mention that the computer also has a discreet GEFORCE board. So I followed your instructions about uninstalling both graphics cards. I then allowed Windows to reinstall the drivers. But that didn't help at all. My laptop screen would still go black when I turned on the external monitor. Then I noticed your graphic of the on screen display. I thought maybe if I pushed the menu button, something would happen- nothing did. I then pressed the rest of the buttons with no result until I got to "Game mode". When I pressed that, the external screen came up duplicating the now present laptop screen. That simple switch solved my problem. All is well now and the birds are again singing here in Western New York. Thank you very much for being there, Sharanji, and for your time.
    Sincerely,
    jimcogs