Options
Shockwavevok
Shockwavevok Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello,

last year I bought a gaming laptop: Aspire V17 VN7-793G 
graphics card: NVidea GeForce GTX 1050 ti
also onboard Intel HD Graphics 630 (128 MB)
CPU: Intel COre I7 7700HQ @ 2.80Ghz
16 GB RAM
Windows 10 64-bit

the video game Assassin's Creed Syndicate has problems running on my laptop. That because it uses the Intel GPU instead of the far more powerful GeForce card.
Games like Doom 4 and Dishonored 2 run without problems (at near 60 fps).

ACS gets a framerate of 15 fps. It was even lower (<10 fps) before a rolled back to driver 398.36.
I vaguely seems to recall having similar problems running Skyrim (during a steam game free weekend) and Rise of the tomb raider (copied it over from my old pc). But was only recently after I purchases the laptop and I haven't played it barely at all. Later I updated the drivers to get Dishonored 2 to run and these other two games were already removed by then.

suggestions I found online was going to nVidea settings > 3D settings and setting the NVidea card default, as well as in the programs tab settings for the game ACS the GPU to the NVidea. I've done this multiple times by now and it didn't help.

today I found some post about setting power settings to High performance. Had no difference.

disabling the intel GPU in device manager had no result either. It disabled my external monitor which is linked to a docking station. And game ran at like 1 fps.

Does anyone have an idea?
What use do I have to a gaming laptop if it can't play because it won't take the graphics card its supposed to take?

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You sometimes need to cold reboot or disable fast startup for some of these changes to take effect. Does ACsyn have any tools, options or settings that would show card detection and/or selection? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Shockwavevok

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    JackE said:
    You sometimes need to cold reboot or disable fast startup for some of these changes to take effect. Does ACsyn have any tools, options or settings that would show card detection and/or selection? Jack E/NJ

I finally got it to work with this trick:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJDiQgt0SlM

I always play with my external monitor. But my external monitor is linked to an docking station. The docking station is connected to the laptop with a usb cable. I plugged the monitor out of the docking station and directly into the hdmi port of the laptop.

then I ran the game and it detected the graphics card now. fps near 60. ACS now looks beautiful.

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    With the intel card disabled, what happens to Doom4 & Dishonored2? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Shockwavevok

Tinkerer

Options
    Doom isn't installed anymore. Dishonored 2 also isn't installed anymore but stand-alone expansion pack Dishonored: Death Of The Outsider still is.
    I tried deactivating the intel gpu and run DOTO. The game is blurry but still runs at the same fps.
  • JackE
    Options
    Does the 1050 driver show up OK in Device Manager? If yes, uninstall it. Don't try to re-install. Just exit Device Mgr. Shut completely off for a cold boot or turn off fast start/boot. Let Windows re-detect the 1050 and auto re-install the driver it wants.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Shockwavevok

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Does the 1050 driver show up OK in Device Manager? If yes, uninstall it. Don't try to re-install. Just exit Device Mgr. Shut completely off for a cold boot or turn off fast start/boot. Let Windows re-detect the 1050 and auto re-install the driver it wants.  Jack E/NJ
    it seems to show up ok to me.
    here screenshot from device manager
    https://imgur.com/a/VGG2Fy7
  • JackE
    Options
    Then try uninstalling it. Don't try to manually re-install. Then exit Device Mgr. Shut completely off for a cold boot or turn off fast start/boot. Turn it back on. Let Windows re-detect the 1050 and auto re-install the driver it wants. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Shockwavevok

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Then try uninstalling it. Don't try to manually re-install. Then exit Device Mgr. Shut completely off for a cold boot or turn off fast start/boot. Turn it back on. Let Windows re-detect the 1050 and auto re-install the driver it wants. Jack E/NJ
    you mean deleting NVidea PhysX and Nivdea GeForce Experience from Configuration Screen > Programs and Settings?
    or delete the GeForce 1050 card from Device Manager?
  • JackE
    Options
    Delete 1050 card driver from Device Manager. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Shockwavevok

Tinkerer

edited October 2018
    Options
    I deleted the 1050 card from device manager. Shut down my computer. Then started my computer again.
    The 1050 is automatically re-added in device manager.
    NVidea drivers are not installed now.

what should I do next?
    AC Syndicate still runs (slowly at less then 10 fps) on INtel gpu.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>The 1050 is automatically re-added in device manager. NVidea drivers are not installed now>>>

This seems contradictory? What do you mean by 1050 driver re-added but nvidea drivers not installed now? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Shockwavevok

Tinkerer

Options
    the 1050 card re-appeared in device manager after rebooting the computer.
    NVidea configuration screen did not appear in the desktop.

update: today the nvidea drivers do appear installed. In my desktop I see nVidea configuration screen.
    3d settings are back to automatic selection.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options

Jack E/NJ

• Shockwavevok

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    JackE said:

I finally got it to work with this trick:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJDiQgt0SlM

I always play with my external monitor. But my external monitor is linked to an docking station. The docking station is connected to the laptop with a usb cable. I plugged the monitor out of the docking station and directly into the hdmi port of the laptop.

then I ran the game and it detected the graphics card now. fps near 60. ACS now looks beautiful.
  • JackE
    Options
    Guess I didn't quite understand your docking setup. Congrats on finding the fix. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ