Acer Predator Helios 500 freezes and turns off

Options
FladnaG
FladnaG Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Sorry for my english.

I have a Acer Predator Helios 500 PH517-51. There is one problem that upsets me. This happens exclusively in games. The image on the screen freezes for a few seconds, then multi-colored blinking artifacts appear, then the computer turns off.

What I tried to do:
I updated the BIOS from 1.06 to 1.14. Subjectively, the amount of freezes decreased from 2-3 to 1 per day.

Updated Nvidia driver to the latest from nvidia.com. This did not cause any effect.

It seems to me that there is no problem with using Linux (Manjaro), but since I installed it recently, it's still too early to confirm it.

In addition, I would like to solve the problem for Windows.

I would be grateful for any advice!

Answers

• FladnaG
    Options
    Forgot to add. It seems that freezes are not related to temperature.
  • MrGrudev
    MrGrudev Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    Did you undervolt your CPU? If you are, possible reason is that its too much undervolted.
  • FladnaG
    Options
    MrGrudev said:
    Did you undervolt your CPU? If you are, possible reason is that its too much undervolted.
    No, i don't undervolt CPU, don't use overclocking. Basicaly played games with not the most complicated graphics - EVE Online (most of all freezes in this game, although this can be explained simply by the fact that I play more in it), CS: GO.

I plan to leave the computer turned on for one or two nights under Linux with EVE Online running. I will write about the results.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    Multi colorered blinking... it seems more of a graphics driver issue. Did you try updating the nvidia drivers, or rolling back to earlier version of drivers, or better yet, installing acer nvidia drivers?
    And after this issue gets sorted, disable driver updates through windows update.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    Options
    FladnaG said:
    MrGrudev said:
    No, i don't undervolt CPU, don't use overclocking. Basicaly played games with not the most complicated graphics - EVE Online (most of all freezes in this game, although this can be explained simply by the fact that I play more in it), CS: GO.

I plan to leave the computer turned on for one or two nights under Linux with EVE Online running. I will write about the results.

Can you check your error logs and post a screen shot?

Click start button and type > reliability history > hit enter
    Navigate to the date/time the shut down happened and screen shot the errors before and after it says "Windows wasn't properly shut down"
    - Hotel Hero
  • FladnaG
    Options
    Many thanks to all for your advice.

First of all, I must say that according to the results of fairly long tests, there are no freezes when using Linux.

I'm glad, as this means that I'm talking about software problems, not hardware.

I will continue to search for the problem under Windows, given the advice received, and I will certainly write about the results.