CB3-131-C3KD (Acer 11 Chromebook) WiFi Problem

Jaywolf3017
Jaywolf3017 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I’ve had this issue with my Chromebook for a while now, it’s an off and on problem. My Chromebook randomly disconnects from the WiFi Network and says there’s no networks available. When I tried turning the WiFi option off and back on on my Chromebook, it keeps automatically switching it back to off. I have to restart my Chromebook to get the WiFi connection again, and when I do get it back it usually doesn’t last too long. I’ve tried Powerwashing it, resetting the settings to default, clearing cache, cookies, history… Nothing seems to really help. It’s a Chromebook problem because all my other devices work perfectly fine on the network. I don’t know what to do… I’ve tried all the tips on the internet that I can find, though nothing really matches my situation. I’m just hoping I don’t need to get it repaired. I also don’t understand why this problem is an on and off thing, my Chromebook is fine for a period of time… Then suddenly… NOPE. Any advice/tips would be much appreciated, thanks!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    Jaywolf3017 
    Could you please check by connecting to any other Wi-Fi network so that we can isolate this issue?
    Also, have you check by restarting your router?
    >If it happens with all the network, you might need to reset your Chromebook hardware, also called a hard reset.
    Try a hard reset only after other ways to fix the problem have failed. It will restart your Chromebook hardware (like your keyboard and touchpad), and might delete some files in your Downloads folder.
    >The first problem is with the encryption type of the wireless security. This problem will completely prevent the webpages from loading. The best setup for a Chromebook is a WPA2 encryption with an AES algorithm. TKIP seems to work for me. WPA sometimes work. WEP hardly ever works. I would recommend staying away from WEP and WPA if you can.
    To check your encryption type quickly, open your browser and navigate to chrome://network
    If your network encryption is WEP, there is a way to change it.
    Open your browser and search your local IP address. This is usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.
    You will then be asked for the password and username or the equivalent. This should be different than your SSID and security key.
    Once you are on your routers page, navigate to the wireless security section. This is in a different location on every router. My firmware is DD-WRT and it is under wireless>wireless security.
    Change your encryption type to WPA2 and algorithm to AES.
    Apply changes and you are done.
    >The second possible problem will make the pages load very slow and sometimes not at all. This is caused by a setting on the Chromebook.
    Navigate to chrome://settings
    Scroll to the bottom of the page and click advanced settings.
    Go to the privacy section.
    Uncheck "Predict network actions to improve page load performance".
    The settings should auto-save, so you can close the window and you are done.

>> If you still has the Wi-Fi disconnecting issue, perform a powerwash.
    A 'Powerwash' is a Factory Reset that is used prior to performing a system recovery. Performing a powerwash will erase all local data. 

>Powerwash When Not Signed In
    Shutdown the power completely by holding down the power button for 5 seconds
    Press the power button to turn the Chromebook on.
    Once the Chromebook has finished booting, ensure you do not log in.
    On the sign in screen, press the Ctrl + Shift + Alt + R keys simultaneously.

>Powerwash When Signed In
    Click on the status area in the lower right corner of your display and click Settings.
    Scroll down in the Settings screen until you see 'Show Advanced Settings' and then click on this option.
    Scroll down until you see Powerwash. Click on Powerwash. Click on Restart.
    Continue and Click Reset. The Chromebook will reboot with a screen that says 'Powerwash in progress...'
    After the Powerwash is complete, the Chromebook will reboot.and you will be guided through initial setup.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!