[Manual] Installing Windows 7 on G3-572

Options
sri369
sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Original Thread: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/601670

Installing Windows 7 x 64 on G3-572

Backup and download the network drivers:
  1. Take a backup of documents and whatever you feel necessary to save. This process involves formatting the entire hard disk.
  2. I used Macrium Reflect free version to take a clone of my existing hard disk, in case i ever wanted to revert back to Windows 10.
  3. Copy the back up into a different hard disk, preferably an external one (even if you have a secondary installed, as a fail safe backup).
  4. Go to the site https://drp.su/en/laptops/acer/predator-g3-572 and download the wireless and LAN drivers. And save these to the secondary hard disk/usb drive.
Prepare Windows 7 installer USB drive:
  1. Prepare your USB with Windows 7 ISO (not detailing this process here). Make sure to make the USB bootable.
  2. Ensure that the USB drive is 16 GB or less. It failed multiple times when I used 64 GB one. I finally ended up using a 8 GB one.
  3. Update the prepared Windows 7 installer USB with the needed USB drivers. I used the Gigabyte Windows USB tool to inject the necessary USB drivers into the installation media.
Preparing Bios:
  1. After making sure you have the above two segments complete, and when totally ready to take the plunge, go further.
  2. Turn on Legacy mode under Bios settings.
  3. Reboot, and get back to bios, and enable the F12 boot menu.
  4. Set the touchpad to Basic, instead of Advanced.
Installing:
  1. Insert the USB into a USB 2 port (not the USB 3 port).
  2. Power up the laptop, and hit F12 (multiple times) to bring up the boot menu.
  3. Select USB in the options, and hit Enter.
  4. If it stop as load driver screen, don't panic. Reboot, set to UEFI, get back to Windows 10, and prepare the USB again using Gigabyte tool. (I did this process a few times before I could get it going, and countless videos on how to rectify this issue.)
  5. Continue on until you come to the partition selection screen.
  6. Most important step comes here. Double check yourself that your primary hard disk is all cloned and that is in a safe place. We are going to wipe the primary disk here.
  7. Delete ALL partitions on primary hard disk. Yes... you read it correct... ALL THE PARTITIONS. Only after this you would be able to create a new one in non GPT mode.
  8. You could set the size of this to about 120 GB. I have a 512 GB primary, so set this to 120 GB. Don't bother about the rest of the partitions. If windows setup says it needs to create more necessary ones, let it do that.
  9. Continue with installation.
Post Install:
  1. Let windows boot up.
  2. At this time no drivers would have been loaded. Don't panic. Go the place where you had earlier downloaded the network drivers and install it. It would ask if you want only network drivers or all. Stick to network drivers only.
  3. Connect to network. 
  4. Run the program again, and this time let it select all the drivers. This program is very nifty, and does a very good job of installing all proper drivers.
  5. Reboot.
  6. Go to windows update, and install all updates.
  7. After you install all, at some point, the update will error out saying you are using a 7 series chip and so no security fixes are available.
  8. To fix this issue, search google for "windows 7 update fix for intel 7 series". Also here is the github link for the patch. Make sure to read it well. I used it, and it installed all the fixes until a few days ago. I disabled the update service after installing all the updates. https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc/tree/micro/src/setup_bat
  9. Touchpad would still be in basic... to allow for advanced features like scroll and such, search google for Touchpad_Synaptics_17.0.6.21_W7x64_A and touchpad_ELANTECH_11.6.24.209_W7x64_A. Try installing both, one of them will work, and you the touchpad customization app. (https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/549192/solution-enabling-touchpad-advanced-features-on-non-windows-10-os-on-g3-572)
That's it folks. I hope I was being detailed enough. Let me know if you need any more info.

Karma...
LIKE - if helpful
ACCEPT - if helped resolve
---------
Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Have you just downloaded the iso x64 from windows 7? Was it necessary to make any changes to the folders on those windows?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • sri369
    Options
    Have you just downloaded the iso x64 from windows 7? Was it necessary to make any changes to the folders on those windows?
    2nd step --> Prepare Windows 7 installer USB drive --> this is needed for windows 7 to recognize the SDD during the start of install process. Without this you will end up with "no disk found" message.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I know that! What I want to know is if I should download only one iso x64 from windows 7 and if it is necessary to make some changes in windows folders! Where did you download windows 7?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • sri369
    Options
    I think I had a SP2 Home Premium version of Windows 7 x64 saved on my disk as an ISO while it was available on MS site. I simply used that. After downloading the ISO, and making into a bootable USB only change I did to the USB was via the Gigabyte software to pump in the needed drivers. Nothing manual.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    So maybe this problem was happening to me, because I downloaded and tried to install windows 7 x64 without the SP2 update packages! Maybe that was why it was not working! Can I copy your text to help other users?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• sri369
    Options
    So maybe this problem was happening to me, because I downloaded and tried to install windows 7 x64 without the SP2 update packages! Maybe that was why it was not working! Can I copy your text to help other users?
    What was the exact error you were getting? Maybe if encountered that, it might be easier to tell you if that was cos of lack of SP2.

And sure, you can use the text or refer them this thread so it would be easier as a one-go-to-location. I initially posted this on the predator forums but was told that this might be a better place for more visibility for people with other laptops too.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • sri369
    edited September 2018
    Options

One more item to add: When making the USB make sure it is set as MBR and not GPT. Windows 7 does not recognize GPT for boot drive.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------